Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideglide front end + handling

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Teagan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wideglide front end + handling

For those that have done the wideglide conversion with the 2 degree OEM trees, how do it handle and steer as compaired to before? I just bought a 21" talk off wheel from an 08' wideglide and Now I need to decide if I want to do the whole conversion of lace the rim to the stock hub. The one thing I don't want to give up is handling.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:30 PM
rayfinseats
Road Captain

You will not notice a difference. 2 degrees is like nothing and the wide glide makes no difference. I did a 6 degree wide glide. LOVED the way it turned...

Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Gwjvw
Road Warrior

Well i did it all! I was going to lace it up also, but after alot of thinking it doesnt cost much more than just buying the wg trees! And now if i ever want to buy a different rim i dont have to lace it to a mid hub,i just put it on! What i can say besides it looks way better is now around 80 or higher i get bad wobbles,something i need to figure out! But would never go back! Even if i cant figure out the wobble!

all in all after i sold my old stuff and saved the money on the hub change over i think the wg trees came free and i even came out with a few bucks! No brainer!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Muddyape
Road Master

did mine in winter 07....never had a problem @ speed or otherwise including handling. Handling actually seemed to improve but probably because of the 120 front tire. Plus it looks bitchin'

Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 AM
WildBillAce2
Road Master

No problems here, still handles great

Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 AM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine handles fine. In fact I think it is better than it was before.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:17 AM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i did mine last winter

i did notice a slight difference at high speeds....

i think it was because i had put 11progs on the back while using stock WG tubes up front with a 21inch wheel

this winter, i replaced the WG tubes with my streetbob tubes and replaced the 2.15 wheel with a 3.25....should be cool, now

Old 02-23-2009, 12:07 PM
thomaskray
Road Master

So you guys don't think adding 5 degrees of rake will hurt?

I wanna do this. Love the look. Don't care about nimble handling since I'm a slow cruising style of rider. Never get above 75 mph. Never spend any time in the twisties really. I do wanna be safe though.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:34 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thomaskray
So you guys don't think adding 5 degrees of rake will hurt?

I wanna do this. Love the look. Don't care about nimble handling since I'm a slow cruising style of rider. Never get above 75 mph. Never spend any time in the twisties really. I do wanna be safe though.
I bought my 98 Wide Glide used. The guy had installed +5° trees and +4" fork tubes. I ride hard...constantly scraping pavement, even with the stock length rear suspension cranked all the way up. I do get wobbles on high speed sweeper curves with dips or bumps in them, but this is 75+ mph. I'm not 100% sure that these wobbles are initiating from the front end though. Before I ride this year (God bless Minnesota...cough, cough) I'll be installing a True-Track so I guess I'll find out if they're front end related. Slow speed is a little more unstable. Bumper-to-bumper traffic and parking lot maneuvering requires more finesse and attention than and other bike I've ridden. This is my first HD, but I've ridden a couple dozen or so other HD's both before and after owning this one.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Teagan
Tourer

Thanks for everone's input,I'm definatly going to go with the wideglide trees.

Quick Reply: Wideglide front end + handling