Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts Guys @ the Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find incompetence in both service AND parts to be rampant.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:57 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rarely get parts from dealer.
but when i call, they know me by name, and they know what they're doin.
and open 7 days a week.
i must be lucky

Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I buy 95% of my parts from Zanotti's....just easier and cheaper.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:24 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The best parts person at my local dealer is a woman. She really knows her stuff. Once guy is a sportbike guy and clueless, and the other guy is decent. The turnover at the stealer is amazing. they must have had 10 different people there since I ahve owned my bike and it has only been 3 years.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Jon H
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddyape
I walk in with my parts book, spew out a couple of numbers and walk away. I learned when I was doing the WG front end conversion on the SB to just tell them I had a WG when they asked, so I didnt hear "that wont fit" Just sell me the F'in parts and hold the commentary. Honestly, now I just buy from Zanotti's. HD dealerships could really benefit from knowing what the hell they're talking about. I was in a local the other day when a customer asked the owner how much an Ultra Classic on the floor weighed....owner says about 650 lbs. Customer says "really thats it?" Yep he replys. Just stupid crap like that drives me nuts. Ultimately they're just salesman or pushing buttons (not all but a majority) We on the other hand are enthusiast.
Ya, that's what you will get in trade in value [a load of ****]. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

I use one dealer exclusively for stuff I don't get elsewhere - the parts guys there are good and don't b.s. you. The other "new shiny" dealer has some parts guys who are a little wet behind the ears - a couple of times I've had them insist my oil change o-rings are all the same size when they aren't. Haven't had to argue with them, just insist they look it up. I really need to start ordering o-rings in bulk online because I know they are cheaper...

Old 02-22-2009, 09:22 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by ackman1968
How true! As a former parts guy I can tell you this, it's getting near impossible to find good people. You get guys with no clue but their wife can write a mean resume, guys that know their stuff but are freekin lazy and once in a blue moon you get one worth a damn. The unfortunate part is they don't want to pay so they can reserve the profit. You pay well and get the right guy people come back and your volume preserves the profit. I would love to sell parts at a Harley dealer, would be fun as heck and I know I could do a much better job than our local guy did before he was laid off.

I LIKE that FL Dyna !!
What you said is true. But on the other hand HD dealers pay 8-10 bucks an hr (aprox 1/2 of what journeymen automotive parts people "should" make)

Old 02-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

I don't buy something unless I've done my own research. Only once was I questioned, and I just replied "dude, just order it for me."

Old 02-22-2009, 10:23 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
I LIKE that FL Dyna !!
What you said is true. But on the other hand HD dealers pay 8-10 bucks an hr (aprox 1/2 of what journeymen automotive parts people "should" make)
Thanks for the good words on the bike.

That is the beauty of ag dealers (at least the one I work for) is they pay well for qualified parts people. I moved to a different department recently and one of our other veteran parts guys left leaving them looking for more people so far with no success.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:32 PM
rayfinseats
Road Captain

Most of the guys at my local dealer can tell you the part number off the top of their head. Rooster's HD.

Quick Reply: Parts Guys @ the Dealership