Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes too loud?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:31 PM
killer.com
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pipes too loud?????

I got to get in here and give my $.02. I have the thunderheaders, and they are loud when you want them to, and you can tone it down if needed. I haven't been rideing as long as some (since 99 on the harleys). And am on #4. I've hade a straight piped softtail, a sportster with thunderheaders, and now the WG. I did get pulled over once on the sporty for doing 5 over the 60 mile an hour speed limit, the cop was going to give me a ticket for speeding, loud pipes, and non DOT approved helmet. After he ran the check on me- he said no ticket for 5 over, and if he gave me a ticket for pipes-he'd have to ticket ever harley he sees, so I got a $75 dollar ticket for a non DOT approved helmet. I now ride with a full face shoei, that I scuffed up with 400 grit sandpaper and shot it with ultra flat black. It might not look as good as I would like, but that guy might have saved my life?? Hope I never find out. But back to the subject-loud pipes do and can save lives. Ever been cruising down the freeway and see the people in the cars look around to see were you are because they hear ya? I do, and don't remember it happening with the stock pipes. [sm=imsmilin.gif]

Old 06-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: DDawg

I too dread the awful SOUND Police ...

I love the sound of the SE II's I have but I need to quiet them down some ... I get really bad vibes at work, at stop lights or anywhere I sit at Idle.

I need a set of quieter baffles ... I don't know what's hiding in there now ... but what ever they are ... they're not working ...Anyone have a set of stock baffles they wanna sell me?
I have a set of stock mufflers from a '06 Low Rider if you're interested.

Sammi

Old 06-20-2006, 02:54 PM
kaduku
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updated: Found these baffles on the Big City Thunder site. Anyone know if these will fit right and if the sound is that much different from my stock SEII baffles?
I have them with my SEIIs, perfect fit, and if you want loud, they are loud (20-25% more).

Check out video!

https://www.hdforums.com/m_401265/tm.htm

Old 06-22-2006, 12:31 AM
blackfinbob
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '06 Bob with SEII"S and one of my buddies just got Big Radius on his '06 Fatboy last Friday. I think they both have their unique sound to them. The SEII's are more throaty versus the poppier sound of the Radius. Which is louder? Well in this situation, it's a toss up. The level is about the same. The Big Radius are awesome looking pipes and you get what you pay for lot's of nice curves and good sound. Since this is the first Harley for both of us, we've never known anything different......So Hell we are both happy.
jdog

Old 06-22-2006, 12:34 AM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

All these posts on this subject and no cycle shack comments, I'm surprised. My CS turnouts are awaiting installation as soon as my PCIII gets here. Anybody heard some CS's along side of the mentioned SEII's and Big Rad's?

Old 06-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can install those slip-ons now...don't really need the PC to run them. I've run a couple different mufflers with no problems.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:13 PM
sintax
Tourer

Just an update... my Big City Thunder baffles will be here tomorrow and I am going to try installing them myself (against my better judgement). I'll report back after I've got them in the pipes and running.

// SINTAX

Old 06-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Angry_Monkey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sintax,
Worst comes to worst just remove the mufflers. The install wasn't too bad, but I only had 700 miles on the bike when I installed the BCTs. Just check and make sure the dealer didn't rivet on the mufflers (long story, but the won't come off with that rivet). You'll love the BCTs.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:53 PM
sintax
Tourer

In order to see if they are riveted I have to remove the heat shield? If they are riveted then I guess I have to take them back to the dealer to swap out, correct?

I also have pretty low milage... 640 as of today.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:53 PM
kaduku
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: sintax

In order to see if they are riveted I have to remove the heat shield? If they are riveted then I guess I have to take them back to the dealer to swap out, correct?
You may be able to see it without removing heatshield, just peek inside. Don't spend more $$$$ having those suckers work it. It's easy, do it yourself and save, plus it gives you experience and confidence to work more on your bike.

Just remove heatshield and drill out rivet, and remove mufflers. You don't have to rivet back mufflers, I didn't and a whole bunch of guys here have not too with no problems at all, as long as you torque them to specs.

Quick Reply: Pipes too loud?????