Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Springs Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Low E
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork Springs Questions

I have been reading about different suspension enhancements on the board.

I am thinking about replacing the fork springs on my bike. I have replaced the shocks and think this will help beef up the suspension. When I got the bike it had 20K miles on it. The shocks are night and day difference (progressive 412)

My questions is what does lowering the front end do? Is it purely cosmetic? What are the pros and cons of going with the progrssive drop in springs that I have seen other members install. I like the ease part of this mod but was unsure what the lowering part would do.

My other choice is Race Tech .95 springs and gold valve emulators.

I would appreciate any feedback

Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely NOT purely cosmetic. Lowering changes the rake/trail, thus the handling characteristics of your beast. Careful going, get some advice from those with experience doing it.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Low E
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline
Definitely NOT purely cosmetic. Lowering changes the rake/trail, thus the handling characteristics of your beast. Careful going, get some advice from those with experience doing it.
Thanks centerline.

I do not necessarily want to lower the bike. I think I want to keep it the same height in fact. Just not sure if the Progressive drop ins can keep it at the standard length.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a XL1200R '04 and fitted progressive springs up front without the lowereing spring,reason why.....to stop dipping under hard braking and to beef up the front.The bike handled better and made enough difference to the feel of the bike it inspired more confident riding,actually thinking of doing the same to my SB...can only recommend it but maybe you might want to try changeing to a heavier fork oil first and see if you like that before buying progressive springs???

Old 02-16-2009, 11:21 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the Race Tech gold valve cartridge emulators under my stock springs over a year ago and the difference was night and day. One of the best mods I've done. I did have to take the dampening rods to a machine shop to drill the holes called for since the rods are round, it wasn't something I could do at home.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:01 PM
FUQUA
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe you might want to try changeing to a heavier fork oil first and see if you like that before buying progressive springs???[/quote]

+1 on the heavier weight fork oil that would bet the cheapest way to improve dipping if that is an issue. If stability is an issue a lowering kit does make it better....just did mine and i love the feel.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:08 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

dont get progressive... Works performance kit is better for only 125 bucks.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:21 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

I can only speak for the standard length Progressive springs which are a good improvement over stock.They work as advertised they provide a smoother ride over sharp bumps while reducing dive under braking. I also switched to Bel Ray 15wt oil but will likely try 20wt in the future.Now,I have a Suzuki SV650 with Race Tech straight rate springs matched to my weight and riding style 15wt oil and cartridge emulators.This is supposedly the hot set up for dampening rod forks but it is approximately 4 times the cost and I can't honestly say it's 4 times better.Depending on much you like taking things apart or how much $ you have you can just try the thicker fork oil first and go from there, or try the Progressive standard length springs and the fork oil and be done with it.Or if money is no object go the Race Tech route.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:33 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I want new springs up front too, but I don't want to go through the hassle of changing my oil again, as I just did it a few hundred miles ago. Do I have any options, or do all require me to re-change oil? I know the progressive drop in kit won't require me to change oil, but I'd really like to get race tech springs, or maybe works performance even...

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Changing to a heavier fork oil made a huge difference. I am using SE fork oil, and it really stiffened up the front a lot, and there's much less dipping. Give that a try as well. I still want to change my springs though.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

If you just changed your oil you could do the Progressive standard length drop in kit fairly easily.If you pull the springs out slowly enough you could probably do it without loosing too much oil.Come to think of it you could also put in Race Tech straight rate springs but probably not the emulators as I've heard you have to drill the dampening rods or something.

Last edited by SPECIAL ED; 02-16-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Fork Springs Questions