Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 49mm fork modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:58 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I now have three weeks on my bike since installing these IAS valves, also upgraded to 320MM YSS Z series 366 TRL rear shocks and adjusted another 10 MM to 330MM(13") my bike has never been this much fun to ride, smoother(soaks up the bumps),better traction, compliant, less tiring, and just goobles up the turns, a look and the bike goes there. I've done other things too(sputhe positrac, works triple rate spring kit,15 w fork oil, and Metz 880's) but the Ricor valves were an outstanding addition to the list. I finally have my bike where I want it, suspension-wise. Let's face it, the stock Showa front is woefully inadequate, it's old technology, the only reason it's on there is because A) it's cheap and B) Harley does not think their buyers care much about handling. You will not believe what a good set-up does, and you do not have to go fast to appreciate it, although the faster you go, the more you will. I'll admit I came from a metrics and British(Triumph) background, this is only my second Harley, but I think that gives what I say a little more credence, it doesn't have to be, "they have aways been that way" , they can be dramatically improved, and the Ricor IAS valve is a dramatic improvement.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:49 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by madden23
Well, I now have three weeks on my bike since installing these IAS valves, also upgraded to 320MM YSS Z series 366 TRL rear shocks and adjusted another 10 MM to 330MM(13") my bike has never been this much fun to ride, smoother(soaks up the bumps),better traction, compliant, less tiring, and just goobles up the turns, a look and the bike goes there. I've done other things too(sputhe positrac, works triple rate spring kit,15 w fork oil, and Metz 880's) but the Ricor valves were an outstanding addition to the list. I finally have my bike where I want it, suspension-wise. Let's face it, the stock Showa front is woefully inadequate, it's old technology, the only reason it's on there is because A) it's cheap and B) Harley does not think their buyers care much about handling. You will not believe what a good set-up does, and you do not have to go fast to appreciate it, although the faster you go, the more you will. I'll admit I came from a metrics and British(Triumph) background, this is only my second Harley, but I think that gives what I say a little more credence, it doesn't have to be, "they have aways been that way" , they can be dramatically improved, and the Ricor IAS valve is a dramatic improvement.
What made you pick the 320MM YSS Z series 366 TRL shock? Seems like there are other YSS options. The web site is somewhat useless and does not explain their shock options, maybe you have a better website with more info?
CB

Old 03-13-2009, 08:58 PM
madden23
Road Master

I called them direct and talked to Klaus, I explained what I expected and what my riding style was, that is what he suggested. Z series is a little beefier, than the G series. I wanted a minimum of 320MM(12.6" stock) and the adjustibility to go higher if needed.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Hal@Ricor
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Showa copied the emulator as best they could

Originally Posted by JSR
No problemo...I appreciate the thought. But maybe someone can explain this to me. All of the 07 touring bikes, except the Road Kings, have a damper valve in the fork. What does it do? Does it control compression damping? And why wouldn't they have it on the RK's?
I have said in the past and I say again Race Tech makes good products. Their gold valve emulator is a good product. Unfortunately for them it was not a patentable change. It is an improvement on an existing technology but not NEW... I don't think I have to say why a version of it has showed up in stock Showa front forks that are built for Harley's. Even when a company/inventor has a patent that works, some other company will try every means possible to work around it so they do not have to pay royalties, even if it less than less a buck per use. If there is any means to copy it will happen. The IAS valve is and has been covered by patent protection. If you want a fabulous ride on your truck and Edlebrock has a shock for it get it. You will not believe the difference. I replaced my stock Corvette C5 shocks with Edlebrocks and the difference was huge and I mean HUGE. We redirected from off road racing shocks to motorcycles recently. One racing shock is in the 3K plus range for a Trophy Truck or Class One buggy. One shock…. and they need four and we have sold a lot of them. Bid difference when we found we could do the same thing for a Harley front form for less than 300.00.
The emulator has conventional valving, bleed, coil spring blow off. Our's has the IAS valve, instant change to road imputs... dramatic difference

Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 PM
JSR
Novice

Originally Posted by Hal@Ricor
I have said in the past and I say again Race Tech makes good products. Their gold valve emulator is a good product. Unfortunately for them it was not a patentable change. It is an improvement on an existing technology but not NEW... I don't think I have to say why a version of it has showed up in stock Showa front forks that are built for Harley's. Even when a company/inventor has a patent that works, some other company will try every means possible to work around it so they do not have to pay royalties, even if it less than less a buck per use. If there is any means to copy it will happen. The IAS valve is and has been covered by patent protection. If you want a fabulous ride on your truck and Edlebrock has a shock for it get it. You will not believe the difference. I replaced my stock Corvette C5 shocks with Edlebrocks and the difference was huge and I mean HUGE. We redirected from off road racing shocks to motorcycles recently. One racing shock is in the 3K plus range for a Trophy Truck or Class One buggy. One shock…. and they need four and we have sold a lot of them. Bid difference when we found we could do the same thing for a Harley front form for less than 300.00.
The emulator has conventional valving, bleed, coil spring blow off. Our's has the IAS valve, instant change to road imputs... dramatic difference
Hal, so you're saying that the damper valve in the HD touring forks is similar to the Race Tech emulator?

I'm already sold on your IAS and will be getting mine installed by Mike at Henderson HD next month. But tell me if I'm understanding the comparison between IAS and the RT emulator correctly.

The IAS technology lets the fork treat input from the wheel differently than from the chassis by having separate fluid circuits. This allows the suspension to feel smoother over bumps, yet be firmer for braking, turns, etc. Makes a lot of sense.

The RT emulator lets the fork respond differently to high speed compression vs. low speed compression. So that hard bumps are absorbed better, while smaller bumps and braking see a firmer suspension. Also makes sense.

Clearly the RT emulator doesn't do what IAS does, but does the IAS system also give you a different compression response depending on the velocity of the wheel input? In other words, does it provide both of these improvements, which seem complementary?

Old 03-14-2009, 02:20 PM
ehc0720
Tourer

Originally Posted by madden23
I just installed a pair of these along with changing out fork oil to 15W, all told a little over an hr(not counting trip to auto parts store to get 10mm 12 sided socket to get brake caliper off) to jack up bike,remove caliper, wheel, fender, fork brace, slide out forks, put in wood vise,removes cap and springs, empty into bucket, pump a few times to get it all out, fill w/ fork fluid(26 oz. approx, measured 100mm from top fully compressed), pump 8-10 times, reinstall on bike. The difference really is quite dramatic, as soon as I got on bike I thought wow I'm gonna like this change!
Is that 26 oz each or per tube?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JSR
Hal, so you're saying that the damper valve in the HD touring forks is similar to the Race Tech emulator?

I'm already sold on your IAS and will be getting mine installed by Mike at Henderson HD next month. But tell me if I'm understanding the comparison between IAS and the RT emulator correctly.

The IAS technology lets the fork treat input from the wheel differently than from the chassis by having separate fluid circuits. This allows the suspension to feel smoother over bumps, yet be firmer for braking, turns, etc. Makes a lot of sense.

The RT emulator lets the fork respond differently to high speed compression vs. low speed compression. So that hard bumps are absorbed better, while smaller bumps and braking see a firmer suspension. Also makes sense.

Clearly the RT emulator doesn't do what IAS does, but does the IAS system also give you a different compression response depending on the velocity of the wheel input? In other words, does it provide both of these improvements, which seem complementary?
Yes the Intiminator is velocity sensitive.

Conventional valving can work in different ways. The best way for conventional valving is to have a small bleed for low speed, then a pressure blow off for higher speed and then an ultimate orfice for the highest speed. The bleed is for comfort, the pressure blow off is for control and the ultimate orfice is to keep the suspension from blowing through all it's travel with extreme hits.

Because of our inertia valve we can cheat to some extent. We have a zero bleed system, the comfort comes from the inertia valve, the control comes from the shim stack pressure blow off.

I'm making an attempt to put this into laymens terms and it makes perfect sense to me, you know how that goes. Let me know if I'm not makeing sense or if you have any other questions.

Brian

Old 03-15-2009, 02:30 AM
JSR
Novice

Originally Posted by Ricor Shocks
Yes the Intiminator is velocity sensitive.

Conventional valving can work in different ways. The best way for conventional valving is to have a small bleed for low speed, then a pressure blow off for higher speed and then an ultimate orfice for the highest speed. The bleed is for comfort, the pressure blow off is for control and the ultimate orfice is to keep the suspension from blowing through all it's travel with extreme hits.

Because of our inertia valve we can cheat to some extent. We have a zero bleed system, the comfort comes from the inertia valve, the control comes from the shim stack pressure blow off.

I'm making an attempt to put this into laymens terms and it makes perfect sense to me, you know how that goes. Let me know if I'm not makeing sense or if you have any other questions.

Brian
Makes perfect sense. You both try to achieve the same results, but using different inputs/techniques.

Do you know if anyone's installed Intiminators on late model Road Kings? I imagine you might make small changes to the shim stacks, fluid quantities, etc. on different forks? I haven't seen any posts from people who've tried it on that bike.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Hal@Ricor
Cruiser
Default Intiminators on Road Kings

Originally Posted by JSR
Makes perfect sense. You both try to achieve the same results, but using different inputs/techniques.

Do you know if anyone's installed Intiminators on late model Road Kings? I imagine you might make small changes to the shim stacks, fluid quantities, etc. on different forks? I haven't seen any posts from people who've tried it on that bike.
The shim stack tune for Road Kings is slightly different. It has been worked out and tested on a number of baggers with the same great results. The picture of the damaged front fender on our website is a 09 Road King. The owner rides his bike hard obviously and Henderson Harley came to us for a fix. We designed and made the spacer, the dealer installed it along with the Intiminator. Owner was very pleased as was the dealer as it was a brand new bike and a warranty repair on a very expensive custom paint job.
http://store.ricorshocks.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=37

We do not recommend changing your fork fluid level unless you have your own reason for doing so. You also should be hearing back from some other forum members in the near future who recently purchased our IAS valve. Henderson Harley is also installing them on every new Police Bike that comes through their shop for the initial set up before they are delivered.
Others have tried to achieve the same results.. RICOR has achieved it...... and we gurantee you will be more than happy with your new ride

Old 12-21-2009, 10:00 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Will this valve wear out or can we expect it to last for the life of the bike?

Quick Reply: New 49mm fork modification