Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 49mm fork modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:58 PM
JSR
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madden23
Ok< I've now had another day on the bike since installing intiminators, no more front fork dive when braking, seems to glide over small irregularities much better. Front now seems much more solidly planted, steering response seems quicker too. I had already installed a works performance triple rate spring kit, and although better than stock, it still felt lacking. Ricor suggests either 10 wt or 15 weight, I went with 15 w for more damping. IMO this was money very well spent. I hated the stock Showa forks since day 1, very little damping, felt like a pogo stick, I put in progressive spring kit, didn't like it, swapped it out for works, changed the orientation of collars a couple of times to shorten spring duration on the works kit(to stiffen it up I'm a big guy 6'3' 235), and got something I could live with, now after adding the Intiminators I am completely happy with the front. The rear has been a similiar trial and error, progressive 440's, works, and now YSS Z 366TRL. I was going to spring for a pr of Ohlins but decided enough already. My bike already handles great compared to stock(also have sputhe positrac and an SE fork bace) I'm a big proponent of suspension first, then brakes, then motor work. Anyone want a pr of 440's HD 12" (chrome springs)and a set of progressive fork springs cheap(already sold the works rear shocks) they only have a couple k on them and look perfect, 270.00 plus shipping? cost new about 570.00 for the set(rear and front).
I completely share the "suspension first" philosophy, and am looking to make improvements on my 2007 Road King Custom. I just found Ricor and this thread was very helpful. Waiting to see how Lonewolf176 likes them since he has the same front end as me.

I was planning to go with 440's on the back, and this thought was reinforced when I learned they had the IAS technology from Ricor. Can you share your experiences with the 440's, and perhaps describe what you like about the YSS shocks? The 440's are generally well liked, but I have seen some unhappy users who got the HD versions. Could that be the issue you had?

I'm not that experienced in dialing in much more than preload. Do the YSS shocks take a lot of adjusting to get right?

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2009, 12:24 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JSR
I completely share the "suspension first" philosophy, and am looking to make improvements on my 2007 Road King Custom. I just found Ricor and this thread was very helpful. Waiting to see how Lonewolf176 likes them since he has the same front end as me.

I was planning to go with 440's on the back, and this thought was reinforced when I learned they had the IAS technology from Ricor. Can you share your experiences with the 440's, and perhaps describe what you like about the YSS shocks? The 440's are generally well liked, but I have seen some unhappy users who got the HD versions. Could that be the issue you had?

I'm not that experienced in dialing in much more than preload. Do the YSS shocks take a lot of adjusting to get right?

Thanks!
It is my understanding the 440s do not share "Ricor's" technology and my experience with the 440 on my sporty was less than what I expected, IMO a cheap imitation of IAS technology. I actually don't have too much of a complaint about the rear shock on my SB and I am pretty critical of the H_D suspension. Rumors are that Ricor is working on a rear shock for the Dyna.
I find it interesting that everyone talks about the 412 or the 440 but never the 418? The 418, too me, is a good shock and has rebound damping adjustment, something I feel is the biggest problem with the rear shocks.
I would get the front working better and see how the rear reacts and work from there.
It is best to to do suspension mods in stages so you can compare to your starting point and this includes the front. It is nice to know which mod did what and if you do 2 or 3 then your sitting there scratching your *** wondering which did what and if it is not working which to change! I would recommend starting with the intiminators since they really change the fluid dynamics, then go to the front springs if you feel the need. The only reason I suggest this is that if you start with the spring, especially the works, you're probably going to have to go back and reset the crossover point and or preload.
CB

Old 03-08-2009, 12:46 PM
JSR
Novice

Thanks! And gotcha..controlled experiment...change one variable at a time.

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
It is my understanding the 440s do not share "Ricor's" technology and my experience with the 440 on my sporty was less than what I expected, IMO a cheap imitation of IAS technology. I actually don't have too much of a complaint about the rear shock on my SB and I am pretty critical of the H_D suspension. Rumors are that Ricor is working on a rear shock for the Dyna.
I find it interesting that everyone talks about the 412 or the 440 but never the 418? The 418, too me, is a good shock and has rebound damping adjustment, something I feel is the biggest problem with the rear shocks.
I would get the front working better and see how the rear reacts and work from there.
It is best to to do suspension mods in stages so you can compare to your starting point and this includes the front. It is nice to know which mod did what and if you do 2 or 3 then your sitting there scratching your *** wondering which did what and if it is not working which to change! I would recommend starting with the intiminators since they really change the fluid dynamics, then go to the front springs if you feel the need. The only reason I suggest this is that if you start with the spring, especially the works, you're probably going to have to go back and reset the crossover point and or preload.
CB

Old 03-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Ricor Shocks
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
CB
CB,

I need to clarify something on this post. The 440's do use the ricor technology but they are made under a license to Progressive. We have no control how they tune or set up the shocks.

The Ricor Intiminator is manufactured and controlled in house.

Brian

Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Well i have a friend at race tech and im gonna get some work done by him and ill let everyone know how it goes......

Old 03-09-2009, 05:37 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JSR, the 440's felt "primitive" and harsh compared to what I have now. And they actually felt worse after I fixed the front suspension.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:14 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry didn't see the second part of your question, shocks are easy to adjust, just do a few clicks at a time and test ride it, make a lot of small changes until you get it the way you like it. Better shocks will have an adjustment for rebound(how fast the shock goes up) and even better compression too(how fast it goes down)Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Hal@Ricor
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 07bobber
Well i have a friend at race tech and im gonna get some work done by him and ill let everyone know how it goes......
Race Tech makes great products, Ricor just uses a different technology with our IAS Valve (aka Intiminator). Looking forward to the feedback and comparison reports.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal@Ricor
Race Tech makes great products, Ricor just uses a different technology with our IAS Valve (aka Intiminator). Looking forward to the feedback and comparison reports.
Coming soon. Forks are back in, chassis alignment is done. Just going to set the "fall away" and wait for dry roads. Got another little dump of snow this morning. Russel

Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 PM
JSR
Novice

Originally Posted by madden23
Sorry didn't see the second part of your question, shocks are easy to adjust, just do a few clicks at a time and test ride it, make a lot of small changes until you get it the way you like it. Better shocks will have an adjustment for rebound(how fast the shock goes up) and even better compression too(how fast it goes down)Hope this helps.
Thanks, Madden23. Just seems strange to hear you say that about the 440's given how many people rave about them. And as I mentioned, I have seen several reports of people who went with the HD version and regretted it. But I do appreciate the feedback. I've decided to go with the Ricor and see what that does before making any other changes.

And maybe by that time, Ricor will tell us if they are coming out with a rear shock. Are you listening, Brian??? Come on..just a hint???

Quick Reply: New 49mm fork modification