Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide rear fender on a Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:55 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Street Glide rear fender on a Dyna

I've been dragging my feet over the last few months due to the cold but was able to get some little things addresses. A few have asked about fitting the 09 touring fender to the Dyna so here is the key info.

Here is the area on the inside rear of the strut that needs to be ground flat. I took it down to where it's even with the rest of the strut.

I had to drill the mounting holes to match the stock fender. I didn't get it right on the first try so I had to open the holes up a little but it fits good now. I used the front part of the Street Bob fender to extend the front and bolted it on with stainless bolts. They hide behind the struts and are out of sight.

I would strongly recomend a Road King fender since there would be less holes to fill. The Street Glide has three that run down the side for the extension that fills in between the bags. I also filled the hole for the rear pillion and where the wiring goes through the fender. I still have the two seat mounting holes to fill. I had to locate and drill new holes to mount the Dyna seat and really that's about it.

I have a Kury bullet turn signal bar that mounts the plate below the tail light and will just run the stock tail light assembly. I spent the rest of the day today filling the un-needed holes in the front fender. It is just about ready for primer and paint. I need to do some work to the front where the fender tip light mounts cuz I'm not going to run it (should have just held out for one off a Deluxe but this one was $50).

So there you have it, that much closer to having to make a decision on paint.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love following projects like this. It lets me live vicariously. Progress is looking good, ackman.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:23 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How wide is that rear fender?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

I measured it a while back and if memory serves me right it's 8 3/4. I'll double check it in the morning.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:38 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to make it work Ackman, hit me up if you need a photoshop to help decide on the paint.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:40 AM
yoseppi
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You ever ask yourself if you would have been easier off just buying a touring bike? Since your basically almost building one piece by piece.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:30 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get on with the paint man, Spring is coming...

Old 02-15-2009, 05:42 AM
MarksBOB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to see the finished bike !!!

Old 02-15-2009, 10:24 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by yoseppi
You ever ask yourself if you would have been easier off just buying a touring bike? Since your basically almost building one piece by piece.
Ever see a Road King witout the bags? Trust me though, I have asked myself WTF are you thinkg a time or two. But it has been fun and rewarding since this is the first time I dove into a bike.

Jake, I'll get there soon. Been trying to figure out a color and where to shoot it. I want to shoot it myself to see how I do. I have a friend that I haven't seen in years and forgot about his paint booth. The wife and i were talking about colors last night and she pops off with "what about Eddies booth". If it's still intact I should have a place to paint it now.

Jarhead, it's actually 9" wide. Not sure where I got the 8 3/4 now.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:35 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

paint is easy.... gloss black!

Quick Reply: Street Glide rear fender on a Dyna