Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering dampener on Dyna FXDC '08

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:35 AM
MonteW
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering dampener on Dyna FXDC '08

Hi, does anybody have experience with steering dampener on Dyna? I am planning to install one as I believe it will improve stability of bike over 90mph. my problem is that I could not find a set that will fit 49mm fork diameter.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40,045 Likes on 13,518 Posts

Same here,if you find a high quality kit that will fit please post your find.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Curz
Advanced

Storz Performance sells the 49mm clamps. Perhaps a phone call to them could get you a kit plus a clamp to do the job!

http://www.storzperf.com/jpgs/page22.html

Old 02-12-2009, 08:30 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Last Saint has one on his FXDB.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 AM
thomaskray
Road Master

over 90mph? good lord.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:04 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Can I suggest an alternative to a damper? Fit a Truetrack handling kit. I have them on my Glide and wife's Dyna and they will transform your bike, by correcting the handling at source. I also have a Firebolt, which comes from the factory with the equivilent of a True Track already installed.

Rubber mount Harleys all suffer from a little lateral movement in the engine and rear wheel. Buells have a stabilizer link at front and rear of the engine (so do rubber-mount Sportsters) which stops that movement. The TrueTrack kit provides those two stabilizers. There are several threads here where you can find more info.

These stabilizers will improve straight-line stability and handling in all circumstances. I recommend you fit one of them first. You won't want a damper!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:23 AM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got mine from Storz. They have them available for 49mm tubes. Give Steve Storz a call. He's a great guy and will hook you up. His products are top notch. Very pricey, but very high quality.
Check out my photo album and you can see a pic of my bike with the dampener.
It also has a fork brace, true track set up, Works Performance springs up front and progressive 440's out back. One day I'll go with Works out back too....just can't swing it right now.
Nothin' wrong with wantin' to go FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

Old 02-24-2009, 07:07 AM
MonteW
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grbrown
Can I suggest an alternative to a damper? Fit a Truetrack handling kit. I have them on my Glide and wife's Dyna and they will transform your bike, by correcting the handling at source. I also have a Firebolt, which comes from the factory with the equivilent of a True Track already installed.

Rubber mount Harleys all suffer from a little lateral movement in the engine and rear wheel. Buells have a stabilizer link at front and rear of the engine (so do rubber-mount Sportsters) which stops that movement. The TrueTrack kit provides those two stabilizers. There are several threads here where you can find more info.

These stabilizers will improve straight-line stability and handling in all circumstances. I recommend you fit one of them first. You won't want a damper!
Thanks for your suggestion, grbrown! True Track is already waiting in the shelf to be installed so I will wait with the dampener until I test the bike behaviour with TT. It may save some $ to me.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteW
Thanks for your suggestion, grbrown! True Track is already waiting in the shelf to be installed so I will wait with the dampener until I test the bike behaviour with TT. It may save some $ to me.
Well done! Let us know if it works for you.

My wife and I will be passing through Prague in June on my Glide!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:35 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Not to hijack but ThomasKray...that avatar rocks!

Quick Reply: Steering dampener on Dyna FXDC '08