Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear shock upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Howard,

Well written!

An alternative I have fitted to my dresser are Fournales air shocks. They have a high pressure 'air spring' which provides fine tuning of the ride. They don't have a steel spring.

Boge used to make self-levelling Nivomat shocks for BMW bikes, which were brilliant, pumped themselves up after half a mile and had virtually no sag.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:07 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I running Fox lowered 11"ers, billets from HD. Rides great, adj's easily when running 2 up with luggage. Have run a few near 2000k mile runs with no problems at all. I was going to swap them for a pair of 412's but I'm thinkin I might just sell them instead. These Fox's ride too good. Why change whats workin?

Old 02-18-2009, 11:37 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Hay there Graham, did you ever get the correct handlebars to make your bike drive down the right (& correct) side of the road?

Good to see you back on the forum from your hiatus. I guess you were drying out your riding cloths and removing the rust for the last say, good part of the year (minus this last few month or two)

Originally Posted by grbrown

An alternative I have fitted to my dresser are Fournales air shocks. They have a high pressure 'air spring' which provides fine tuning of the ride. They don't have a steel spring.

Boge used to make self-levelling Nivomat shocks for BMW bikes, which were brilliant, pumped themselves up after half a mile and had virtually no sag.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:14 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Depending on the shock is how you should set up your riders/bike combined sag. A HD or pretty much almost of the shocks used on this form by its members, do not have the technology to determine the combined pre-sag & riders sag as a standard number.

A much better shock found on sport bikes and especially in the aftermarket such as Penske, Ohlins, [Elka,(sport bikes only)] all have the ability to use the spring to keep the "axle in place" and the spring plays almost no part in the actual suspension movement, the shocks controls the compression and rebound.

In stock HD, Works, Progressive, and all of the popular usual shocks found on HD, the shocks are cheaply engineered and can not support the bikes suspension role without relying on the spring. That is why the aforementioned shocks make your Harley ride the way it does.

With stock HD, Works, Progressive, and all of the popular usual shocks, just try to find the most comfortable spring compression setting you can and compromise on the road conditions not covered by the current spring pre-load setting. Do not expect to ride "a silk purse when you start with a sows ear".
where does YYS fall in this. They seem(price wise) to compete with works. Do you find them superior to works?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to steal Howards thunder, yes, they are superior to works.