Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear shock upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:03 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 12.5"+ gives you more travel i.e more ground clearance and can also give a more supple ride over uneven roads, every thing else being equal. I know a lot of people like to go lower for that slammed look, which is fine. But your shocks are doing a lot of work
back there to keep you planted on the road, why would you intentionally limit them? I'm not a suspension expert by any means, you want an expert talk to FASTHARLEY, I'm just a Dyna owner who likes my bike to handle better than stock, way better.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:07 PM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put the Fat Bob shocks on. I know its the stock but I tell you it made a difference on my bike.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:33 PM
madden23
Road Master

One of the problems is HD doesn't think their buyers care about suspension, brakes and handling,so upgrades are needed but, I think a lot of Dyna owners buy their bikes, BECAUSE they can be made into the fastest,best handling bikes in the line-up. It kinda sucks that the bikes need upgrades, but face it if you owned a Ducati, you'd be doing the same things, no bike is perfect out of the box for you, if you are passionate about your bike you are going to improve it, no matter the brand. I personally think suspension should be the first change. Peace.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:00 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Question about gas shocks..

How reliable are those shocks? They come with a 2 year warranty, does that mean they are going to go out in a year and have to be sent for rebuild? I'd hate to have to spend $600+ on shocks and then they go out in several thousand miles.

Anyway, thanks for the postings about the shocks. I've been thinking about going in a different direction with my ride, but I'm a bit hesitant too.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:47 AM
madden23
Road Master

YSS and Works both recommend a rebuild every 30K, since they are rebuildable they are lifetime shocks.(Don't know what Penske and Ohlins recommendations are but I expect they would be similiar) A rebuild costs between 80-100.00. Keep your old shocks at 30K switch 'em send them in for a rebuild, get back in new condition. These are not shocks out of a box, they are specifically calibrated for you. Hope that helps.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:03 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

30k? Ok, thats not so bad.. I was thinking it woulda been less then that. Well then in THAT case............

Old 02-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Anyone know the part number for the OEM shocks on the 09 CVO Fat Bob FXDFSE? These are supposed have a different calibration from the std Fat Bob shocks and give a better ride.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:03 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by madden23
One of the problems is HD doesn't think their buyers care about suspension, brakes and handling,so upgrades are needed but, I think a lot of Dyna owners buy their bikes, BECAUSE they can be made into the fastest,best handling bikes in the line-up. It kinda sucks that the bikes need upgrades, but face it if you owned a Ducati, you'd be doing the same things...
...have you been peeking in my garage????????????

Old 02-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm another fan of the HD440's. I put the 12" ones on my WG and I love them. Very smooth ride. RR tracks don't even bother me to much. We ride 2 up a lot. One of my best mods to date.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:34 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock HD and YSS.

Quick Reply: rear shock upgrade