Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motherwell's Solo Luggage Rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 PM
muleman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the trick with the zip tie.. is

is u drop the mounting bolt down on the zip tie, when the bolt hits the fat end it stops then you push the small end of the zip tie up under the fender and tire and grab it through the hole where it is going pull it through put the plastic c clamp holder on.. then push the zip tie out and your done!!! just saves you from sticking your hand up under the finger and fooling around.. the zip tie is a hell of alot faster...

Old 02-18-2009, 10:59 PM
cdn-bigfoot
Advanced
Default Got a Motherwell rack on my Street Bob.

Everything's sitting on the Motherwell rack, including the throwover saddlebags.

As far as mounting. I used the ziptie method to get the nut into the fender. Nut stays there fulltime and I use it to mount my 2-up seat when I use that. When I ride solo with no rack, I plug the nut/hole with a Willie G. Skull license plate bolt. Looks awesome!

Here's the hole plugged on my Sporty.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:10 AM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this work with the rack when used in conjunction with the bib? Or will it be too short? (it's the HD made bolt)

Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,262 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Motherwell rack with mustang fender bib.

No fitment issues.

Not the greatest pic to show the bib, sorry.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 AM
DeathProof72
Road Master

What bolts did you use?

Originally Posted by Toypuller
Motherwell rack with mustang fender bib.

No fitment issues.

Not the greatest pic to show the bib, sorry.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,262 Likes on 1,578 Posts

I used some chrome allen head bolts that I had at the house from a different project.

Put a chrome washer on them and they look fine.

The Harley screw **** doesn't work on the front because of the Mustang barrel post. It also wasn't long enough to grab well on the rear through the rack and fender bib.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 AM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Thanks for that info. Exactly what I was needing to know.. I wonder if the bolts that motherwell sells or supplies with the rack will work...

Originally Posted by Toypuller
I used some chrome allen head bolts that I had at the house from a different project.

Put a chrome washer on them and they look fine.

The Harley screw **** doesn't work on the front because of the Mustang barrel post. It also wasn't long enough to grab well on the rear through the rack and fender bib.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:53 AM
DeathProof72
Road Master

A bit of an update on an old post here which may be useful to anyone considering this item for an 09 Street Bob....

Just tried to install this on my 09, and apparently Motherwell never test mounted this on one of these, because when you try to mount the rear bolt, you can't because the new tail light gets in the way. Even though the rear of this rack turns upwards, the center of the bar makes direct contact with the middle of the tail light housing. Without bending the rack upwards another centimeter or more, it simply will not fit. Very disappointing..

I understand that their customer service is very good, so I will try calling them, hopefully if they do make a new one for my bike, maybe they will send me one or swap mine.

If not, I may have it for sale for anyone interested. I had it redone in wrinkle black already. Normally these sell for $88.89 in matt black, and $91.89 for chrome. Wrinkle black looks wayy better. Anyone interested, PM me. Looking for $90 (includes shipping anywhere in the US). Paid $30 to have it coated......

Old 03-14-2009, 09:14 AM
tweakin
Road Master

I ran into the same problem, with my motherwell. I am keeping mine since I have plans to shave my tail light off.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Ride em Hard
6th Gear

Have one on my bike looks good and worked ok on a ride about 1500 mile had about 50lbs duffle bag strap to it. Get bungees with plactic coverd hooks that will keep it from scuffing your fender. Also strap the bungees over it in a X pattern would still move side to side so ran a bungee over top fender strut to fender strut and never moved. Next trip want to try to make a bar to make it wider for more support. good luck

Quick Reply: Motherwell's Solo Luggage Rack