Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does anyone have ideas for a backrest

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
BUC8HED
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a solo seat. I just bungee a tool roll or Indian blancket right behind the seat. Works for me and it doesn't cost a dime.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Slipstrm
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snooper0069
I have an of Streetbob with the stock 2 piece seat. On long trips my back starts to hurt because I dont have any back support. Does anyone have ideas for a backrest. Im on a limited budget so I cant spend alot of money
I got a Protac for a FXSTC and installed the brackets upside down on my Dyna.
Its great!
http://www.protac.net/7501.html

Old 02-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We've talked about it before...search:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-backrest.html

Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I went to Texas last summer I had a Tbag strapped on where a passenger would be and it worked great for the whole 3000 miles Had a wreck in 68 and screwed up my back, so it kinda hurts all the time but the trip never made it worse

Old 02-11-2009, 06:14 PM
FATBOB.
Tourer

i bought the side plates from harley and bend a square tube and made the back rest

Attached Thumbnails does anyone have ideas for a backrest-sspx0016.jpg  
Old 02-11-2009, 07:29 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got a Lazy Rider that is really great on the long rides. sure makes my back feel a whole bunch better, and allows me to stretch out and enjoy the ride.

http://www.lazyrider.com/

Last edited by gman; 02-11-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:45 PM
jhall201
Cruiser

I was able to make my own backrest for a solo seat. This project only cost me about $10 (spray paint, bolts, and a 3' piece of steel from a home improvement store). This took me about 8 hours to bend the piece of steel into shape so that it fit me and the bike perfectly. Before this project I had a stock 2-piece seat with a detachable backrest. For materials I used my stock Street Bob seat, Harley passenger backrest pad, and a 1.25" wide piece of steel (thicker gauge).

1. I separated the two seats from one another
2. I then took my passenger backrest pad off of the bike.
3. I took the flat piece of steel and held it against the bottom of the stock street bob seat so I could get an idea of where I needed to drill a hole in the piece of steel (attach to bottom of seat pan) and to get an idea of how far I would need to bend the piece of steel to get the right angle for when the backrest pad would be attached later.
4. I then drilled a hole in the piece of steel and bolted it onto the bottom of the stock seat.
5. I carefully shaped the piece of steel until I got the correct angle so that the backrest would be in the perfect position for me. This process took the longest. Prop it onto the bike every now and then to check the bends. Be patient. Make sure that the piece of steel does not contact the rear fender at all as it will get scratched.
6. Once I finally pounded the piece of steel into shape (with a hammer) I drilled a hole into the piece of steel and bolted the passenger backrest to it. You can use either a solid work bench and clamp the piece of steel to it or you could use a vise. I just used a solid oak block as I did not have the luxury of a work bench or vise. Hey whatever works!
7. I then marked a line as to where I would cut the extra steel off; as it is not needed.
8. Prop it onto the bike and check for any last adjustments; make all adjustments.
9. Get a grinder and make it nice and pretty.
10. Primer and paint.

I was not able to keep the passenger seat on the bike with this setup but it works great for riding solo. When I ride two up I just take the bracket off that I made and then bolt the two seats back together.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:07 PM
german ladyrider
Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts

Here is one from Fehling with an attached lagguage rack...costs here (in Germany) 179 Euro

Old 02-12-2009, 04:03 PM
jhall201
Cruiser

That's a nice setup. Where can you order those?

Old 02-12-2009, 05:29 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Originally Posted by vet767
When I went to Texas last summer I had a Tbag strapped on where a passenger would be and it worked great for the whole 3000 miles
I do the same thing. I have a Tbag and when on long trip I just load it up with stuff and use it as the backrest. Works great and I get storage AND back support for about $100.

I also use a smaller, shorter Tbag for shorter trips. Again I can put a few items in the bag such as extra gloves, towels or whatever, just to fill it up for the support.

But eventually I do want to get a seat with a rider back rest, but like everyone says, they are NOT cheap.

Quick Reply: does anyone have ideas for a backrest