Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch adjustment

I'm probably going to be taking my bike in for the 1000 mile service this week. One of the items on the 1000 mile list is to adjust the clutch. The clutch action on my bike is perfect and I really don't want them messing with it. I'm an "if ain't broke, don't fix it" kinda guy. That lesson was brought home when they did the 1000 mile service on my Sportster. The clutch never felt right after they "adjusted" it then.

Is there any reason I can't tell them to leave the clutch alone at the 1000 mile service? I mean, if it feels okay, isn't slipping or dragging, then it doesn't need adjusting, right?

Old 02-08-2009, 07:18 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I don't know there Gary... it's a tick mark on the maintenance schedule. I'd either let them at least 'look' at it, or find and indy to 'look' at it, or heck do it yourself! Whichever, have it documented... warranty and all that.

Now, the guy in the video obviously is uncomfortable in front of the camera, but he gets the point across in fine fashion.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1...clutch-one.htm

Old 02-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've looked at the service manual and it says the clutch has to be adjusted with the bike at room temp. There is no way in hell I can ride 35 miles to the dealer, spend a total of three hours there while they complete all the work, and they adjust the clutch with the bike at room temp.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:36 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
I've looked at the service manual and it says the clutch has to be adjusted with the bike at room temp. There is no way in hell I can ride 35 miles to the dealer, spend a total of three hours there while they complete all the work, and they adjust the clutch with the bike at room temp.
I don't know, that's exactly what I did for my 1K service. The dealer is exactly 35 miles away. Got there as they opened, and left just after noon. Not sure they did anything to the clutch, as it didn't feel any diffferent. Meaning they may have not touched the clutch... maybe adjusted the cable.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all honesty, if the clutch feels ok, they are most likely not going to touch it anyway.
If you request it, it just makes the guy's job easier and I highly doubt they would throw it back in your face in anyway.
Hell, one of the adjustments in the 1k is to check and adjust the steering head bearing and check fallaway. My dealer didn't even touch it.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:37 AM
guzzishop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replaced the mid-mount controls on my '09 Street Bob, which involved removing the primary drive assembly. The last step after re-assembly is to adjust the clutch. Since I already had the derby cover off anyway, the clutch adjustment was a no-brainer. Just follow the instructions in the service manual and it only takes a few minutes.

If you're going to let the dealership do it, I agree with JayFromPA--they're probably not going to touch it anyway.

Last edited by guzzishop; 02-13-2009 at 10:54 AM.