Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"tinging" noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shag67
I had the same problem and was 99% sure it was not any form of detonation. But I figured it was cheap enough to try filling my tank with premium for a test. I did (93 octane) and at least the symptoms of the problem went away 100%. Your mileage may vary but what's the harm in trying the high-octane stuff? None.
EDIT: To be clear, after my experiment I continued to run 93 octane and have put at least 4000 miles on the bike with the 93 octane gas in the bike and the problem has not resurfaced. I understand that the compression ratio of a stock Harley engine is low enough that it should not require the higher octane gas. I'm only reporting what I've personally experienced.
air cooled engines run hotter than liquid cooled engines....typically. Plus remember the rear cylinder is not cooled very well at all, most likely all the knock is from that cylinder anyway.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:17 PM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorance66
air cooled engines run hotter than liquid cooled engines....typically. Plus remember the rear cylinder is not cooled very well at all, most likely all the knock is from that cylinder anyway.
Sure, I understand that. I recently got rid of a Yamaha Warrior with a bigger engine (likely more heat output) and higher compression ratio than the Harley I ride now. I ran 87 octane in it all day long and never had a problem with it. I drive a '64 air-cooled VW Beetle. I know the air-cooled motors run hotter than the water-cooled ones do. But still for the compression ratio of the stock Harley, they um... theoretically should not require the higher octane stuff. I only tried it initially to eliminate that as a possibility 100%. But when the symptoms ("tinging") went away, I continued to run the higher octane fuel and have personally had good luck with it. It literally costs me about 30 cents more per tank to use the high octane fuel so I just accept that as a solution for myself and encourage those who have not tried it yet to give it a try. But I'm not sure about your statement that the rear cylinder is "not cooled very well at all." I haven't read any objective tests that support that statement. I know it's behind the front cylinder and doesn't get as much direct air-flow, but... Have you heard of problems with the modern engines having the rear cylinder overheat? I haven't.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Lorance66
Road Master

Sure, I understand that. I recently got rid of a Yamaha Warrior with a bigger engine (likely more heat output) and higher compression ratio than the Harley I ride now. I ran 87 octane in it all day long and never had a problem with it. I drive a '64 air-cooled VW Beetle. I know the air-cooled motors run hotter than the water-cooled ones do. But still for the compression ratio of the stock Harley, they um... theoretically should not require the higher octane stuff. I only tried it initially to eliminate that as a possibility 100%. But when the symptoms ("tinging") went away, I continued to run the higher octane fuel and have personally had good luck with it. It literally costs me about 30 cents more per tank to use the high octane fuel so I just accept that as a solution for myself and encourage those who have not tried it yet to give it a try. But I'm not sure about your statement that the rear cylinder is "not cooled very well at all." I haven't read any objective tests that support that statement. I know it's behind the front cylinder and doesn't get as much direct air-flow, but... Have you heard of problems with the modern engines having the rear cylinder overheat? I haven't.
My intent is not to question you, I am adding objective input to help the thread. I have no idea what you know or do not know about air cooled engines. I try very hard to not post my opinions on here especially if I don't know the subject matter very well, otherwise I just want to be helpful to the next guy who may read this thread. Sorry if I offended you.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, I gotta say that I've been running 93 octane for the last 20k miles, and I still get the "ting" noise. I get it when I ride 2 up and letting off the clutch in first sometimes, and when accelerating hard.. but I noticed its mostly when I ride 2 up and there's more weight to the bike. I get it every now and then when I ride by myself, but its definitely still there, especially when the bike is hot. I've always had this noise. I just ignore it now.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:28 AM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorance66
My intent is not to question you, I am adding objective input to help the thread. I have no idea what you know or do not know about air cooled engines. I try very hard to not post my opinions on here especially if I don't know the subject matter very well, otherwise I just want to be helpful to the next guy who may read this thread. Sorry if I offended you.
No, you didn't offend me at all. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't saying that what worked for me would work for everyone and when you mentioned the rear cylinder not getting cooled hardly at all it caught my attention so I asked you for details about why you said it. You said you are adding objective input to the thread. That's cool by me. I just would like to see some information about that rear cylinder not getting cooled and that would make it more objective and not just an off-handed remark. No need to get defensive.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Lorance66
Road Master

No, you didn't offend me at all. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't saying that what worked for me would work for everyone and when you mentioned the rear cylinder not getting cooled hardly at all it caught my attention so I asked you for details about why you said it. You said you are adding objective input to the thread. That's cool by me. I just would like to see some information about that rear cylinder not getting cooled and that would make it more objective and not just an off-handed remark. No need to get defensive.
How about if I word it like this instead.....rear cylinder temperatures will be higher than front cylinder temperatures which may most likely lead to detonation in the rear cylinder before the front one. I am not saying the engines overheat, just that the rear cylinders run hotter. Is that better?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:43 AM
red69camaro
Tourer

I had what might be the same thing a while back. I noticed one day I could turn the thick shim/washer on the thunderheader mount by hand. It really wasn't loose. Tightened it up and that cured the problem

Old 07-22-2009, 01:15 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I get the ting too.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Maxx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by red69camaro
I had what might be the same thing a while back. I noticed one day I could turn the thick shim/washer on the thunderheader mount by hand. It really wasn't loose. Tightened it up and that cured the problem
Sounds accurate for the sound that I'm hearing. I think it's just a loose exhaust.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:02 PM
NONCOM2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same noise on my 09 FXD, only on hard accelerations and first noticed it while passing a car, was in 4th gear and jumped on it and the rattling scared the crap out of me, pulled over immediately checked all fluids and that stuff. Tried to see if it would do it in neutral, but it doesn't. Had my mechanic look at it and even put it on a DYNO to see if it would do it while he was standing there and of course, it didn't do it that time. lol. Like many of you, guess I'm not going to lose any sleep on it, especially since, 1. it's still under warranty and 2. I'm not losing any power when i hear that sound.

Quick Reply: "tinging" noise