Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"tinging" noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wein77
I have a 12 Fat Bob with 3000 on it and it has the same ting noise like rocks are hitting the primary cover
Mine sounds similar.

I just rode it home and decided to push the Jiffy Stand out a little bit while moving. The sound didn't go away.

Driving me nuts.

Almost afraid to take to a wrench. They might want to tear it apart just as a CYA thing.

Do the compensators on my year take a dump fairly often? Hardly any miles.

Maybe I'm imagining things.

Wouldn't care, but I'm planning on trailering it about 1,500 Miles one way in a couple weeks.

I understand that nobody can diagnose something over the Internet. just thinking out loud -- Whether to ride it until I can locate it or what.

Could be -- God knows what

ETA:

Just put Big Radius 2 into 2's on it. I have no idea why that would affect anything. Also put a chrome lower chain guard cover on it. Maybe that's rattling. Kinda hard to hang your head down that far while riding. Roy Rogers, I'm not.

Last edited by Grendel4; 06-15-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:36 PM
rob_will
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I had the same thing...seems that it only started to progressively get worse over the past 3 years or so....

But it did go away.....

I switched gas....

From Shell 93 octane
to Chevron 93 octane

it really went down when i put octane boost in....

You guys may wanna try that and see how it goes.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:09 PM
ilovemyskidoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike was doing the exact same thing last year would only do it if you put the hammer down in a high gear and low rpm's dealer told me it was detonation and low quality gas so i only run 93 or better octane and don't put the hammer down unless i'm at at least 3k rpm's and it went away.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grendel4
Mine sounds similar.

I just rode it home and decided to push the Jiffy Stand out a little bit while moving. The sound didn't go away.

Driving me nuts.

Almost afraid to take to a wrench. They might want to tear it apart just as a CYA thing.

Do the compensators on my year take a dump fairly often? Hardly any miles.

Maybe I'm imagining things.

Wouldn't care, but I'm planning on trailering it about 1,500 Miles one way in a couple weeks.

I understand that nobody can diagnose something over the Internet. just thinking out loud -- Whether to ride it until I can locate it or what.

Could be -- God knows what

ETA:

Just put Big Radius 2 into 2's on it. I have no idea why that would affect anything. Also put a chrome lower chain guard cover on it. Maybe that's rattling. Kinda hard to hang your head down that far while riding. Roy Rogers, I'm not.
This is embarrassing...... My horn had come loose

FYI

Old 06-24-2012, 02:52 PM
brown dawg
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rob_will
Well I had the same thing...seems that it only started to progressively get worse over the past 3 years or so....

But it did go away.....

I switched gas....

From Shell 93 octane
to Chevron 93 octane

it really went down when i put octane boost in....

You guys may wanna try that and see how it goes.
thats crazy i have only run shell 93 and i ping gonna try switching to bp or phillips 66 only other two availble in my area

Old 06-24-2012, 04:26 PM
fjoh
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 25 Posts

I began to hear the samr noise and I found a loose horn bracket bolt to the rear cylinder and I just tightened it up. I'll post if that was the cause of the noise after I take it for a ride later today...

Old 08-17-2012, 12:15 AM
scotracy
Road Captain

I have the same problem. I will let ya know what I find out. Hope just a horn bracket.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:21 AM
DeerTexas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NoLongerAmember
I will say this, I adjusted my belt when I replaced my tire and I could swear it went away, then like a fool I took it to the dealer to do the 5K (yes, I am Lazy) and the noise came back. I had adjusted it to the tight side of spec, but I adjust it with me on the bike, normal riding position. Not sure how the tech at the dealer does it, actually seems to be a little too tight to me. So, I guess I am going to adjust it my way and see if it does go away.
Interesting. My 2012 Wide Glide makes the same tink/squeek noise that is barely audible when I really call on it. My 2010 Softail Custom did the same thing. Both sounds reminded me of a slipping belt, but I have no evidence to back it up. As long as I'm not accelerating hard there is no sound. I haven't found it annoying enough to do anything about it.... yet.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It maybe the fuel injectors. Normal.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:10 AM
scotracy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Maclugie
It maybe the fuel injectors. Normal.
My Indy told me this was a possibility. But it is noticable when you crack the throttle hard. He and I agree it is not detonation.