Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil - Opinions from Dyna Riders

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:24 AM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
The SAE viscosity scale for transmission and gear lubricants is not the same as for motor oil. A 75w90 gear oil is roughly the same viscosity as 10w40 motor oil.

The primary synthetic base oil, PAO, used by Mobil 1 is derived from ethylene gas, a byproduct of crude. Group III hydrocracked base oils are refined crude. Syn3 uses both PAO and Group III.
That's interesting. I guess that explains why Syn3 sounds like a blacksmith working when it was in my tranny. Didn't know that about synthetics - I thought they were truly all man-made. thanks for the info, appreciate it!

Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 AM
max398
Stage I

I did it and now i'am sorry.
I changed to hd synthetic all around, and its great, except in the primary. I used to have the kind of bite that would smoke the tire but not since changing to synthetic. Don't get me wrong its still good and will probable add many miles to my clutch, chain, ect. But the thrill is gone, and so is the tire smoke.
So ask your self do ya want mileage and longevity or do ya want performance.
Just my 2 cents

Old 02-15-2009, 05:31 PM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changed to Amsoil last year..was running HD-Syn3. So far so good.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Boneyard Blue
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This was a good read. Had my bike serviced a few months ago and my local HD dealer put syn3 in all three holes. Never thought too much about it but I do hear a nice "clunk" when shifting gears now. I also hear kind of a "wind blowing" sound coming from the primary.
Since it's going to be cold in the northeast for a while now, think I'll change all three holes. May not be necessary but I'll have a little more peace of mind.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use Royal Purple 20/50W in the engine and Royal Purple 75/90 gear oil in the transmission and primary chain case. Both synthetic. Wondering if the gear oil in the primary chain case is a good idea, but it seems a lot smoother. In the winter if you are doing short runs water can build up in the oil. You will notice white foam in the oil. Changing it every 1500 miles if you make short runs is the way to go. They say to flush the tank. I have not figured out how I would do that. So have been riding at least 10 miles when I ride in the winter.

Last edited by spiritwarrior; 02-16-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Streets of Fire
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Royal Purple 20w50 and 75w90.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Grind
Road Master

Re HD dino vs Syn 3: Saturday, wife & I went to a service clinic at a local dealer. I'm very mechanically inclined, but being new to bikes, I felt it would be time well spent. It's Wisconsin's oldest dealer and they are/were heavily involved in racing, so I think they're straight shooters. They don't do the upsell to Syn 3. You can have it if you want it, but they're very confident in the HD dino oil. There wasn't any discussion about other manufacturer's oils, be they dino or syn, however.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Grind
Road Master

Originally Posted by spiritwarrior
They say to flush the tank. I have not figured out how I would do that.
Has anyone tried that gizmo, advertised in American Iron, that you screw onto the oilfilter bung, run the engine uintil the fresh oil flushes out the old oil, then shutting it down and installing the filter?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 AM
formike56
Club Member

HD syn3 is a Citgo product. Which is made by Hugo Chavez.

I use AMSOIL 20/50 in the engine
Spectro Six Speed Oil in the tranny
Spectro Primary in the primary.

All are a little pricey but what the hell....

Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Lorance66
Road Master

Originally Posted by shawn e.
I am gonna change oil in all 3 holes. I have been searching the tech sections for a while and seriously I am kinda blown away with all the choices. What do you guys who wrench on your own bikes use! My last two engine changes were HD oil. I think I am gonna go synthetic. Do you guys use ATF in the trans?

Thanks In advance

Shawn
I chose SE synthetic in all 3 for me

Quick Reply: Oil - Opinions from Dyna Riders