Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather.............

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This looks like it's pretty close to the heavy breather filter.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RC-4160

Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 PM
txtec
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
This looks like it's pretty close to the heavy breather filter.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RC-4160
looks like mine,the s.e. replacement is 75.00,how much is that k&n???

Old 07-06-2009, 06:52 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

On ebay it's about 46 bucks.

Is that $75 buying it from a dealer?

Old 07-06-2009, 06:59 PM
txtec
Banned

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
On ebay it's about 46 bucks.

Is that $75 buying it from a dealer?
yes,thats from a dealer. will look at my parts sheet if i can find it and check zanottis price.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:03 PM
txtec
Banned

part # is 29424-05,includes chrome band clamp cover and clamp. rain sock is 29493-05.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:14 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chad peterson
So your sayin that heavy breather blows away a stage 1 (k&n) in performance? I seriously doubt it! I really like the looks of it, don't take this the wrong way but to say it has alot more power is crazy! You'd have to get in the motor to make that much of a difference.
I agree 100%

My dad installed one on his road glide (carb bike) and when summer came closer he started having pinging issues (switched from K&N setup). So we figured a tune was in order. Took the bike to a very reputible tuner in the area and after a couple hours on the dyno some things were discovered.

1. The engine had too high compression for the cams---bad build? (not by us!)

2. The engine needed a bigger jet than a 240....on a 44cv, 95"engine! to keep from running lean and pinging.

3. Front and rear cylinders have a huge afr difference. Compression test shows exactly same compression.

Tunner suggested.....Get rid of the SE heavy breather! Air and fuel getting rammed into front cylinder while rear cylinder was lean...Seems the air was making the 90* turn into the carb and kept trying to continue its curving path right into the front cylinder blowing right past the rear.

Installed SE K&N style filter setup and AFr's front to rear were almost exactly the same. Rejetted the carb and with octane booster...no pinging and runs a ton better!!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:32 PM
txtec
Banned

Originally Posted by redrubicon2004
I agree 100%

My dad installed one on his road glide (carb bike) and when summer came closer he started having pinging issues (switched from K&N setup). So we figured a tune was in order. Took the bike to a very reputible tuner in the area and after a couple hours on the dyno some things were discovered.

1. The engine had too high compression for the cams---bad build? (not by us!)

2. The engine needed a bigger jet than a 240....on a 44cv, 95"engine! to keep from running lean and pinging.

3. Front and rear cylinders have a huge afr difference. Compression test shows exactly same compression.

Tunner suggested.....Get rid of the SE heavy breather! Air and fuel getting rammed into front cylinder while rear cylinder was lean...Seems the air was making the 90* turn into the carb and kept trying to continue its curving path right into the front cylinder blowing right past the rear.

Installed SE K&N style filter setup and AFr's front to rear were almost exactly the same. Rejetted the carb and with octane booster...no pinging and runs a ton better!!
i"ve also heard they dont work well on carbs,but on fuel injected bikes i"ve seen 2 to 3 h.p. gained over the stage one. big advantage pulling cool air away from the engine heat. tha stage 1s are getting alot of heat off the motor pulling from the backside of the football cover.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:44 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, that's the one, Vic. I got tunnel vision just looking at the 2.5" flange diameter units, and missed that near-exact fit just a few rows up the table...nice catch. They say the flange will stretch about 1/16", so the 2.44" flange size would be just right. Those oval tapers I linked to might look pretty sweet.

The stock HB element has the chrome base/flange cover; I didn't look to see if this might be transferrable to one of the K&N's that look like they have a plain, black rubber base/flange. If so, that would be a big incentive to replace with the one you found over the oval taper element.