Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help finding affordable parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:53 AM
thomaskray
|
Road Master
Question Need help finding affordable parts

I got a great deal on a wide glide tank that I'm putting on my superglide. Problem is, I'm having trouble finding parts for it without paying thru the nose at the stealership.

Anybody know a company that would have parts like the fuel gauge assembly, sender unit, console lights, trim rings and gaskets, etc?

The tank is off a 1999 WG. So far, all I got is the tank, and a console off ebay. J&P doesn't seem to have what I need, and numerous internet searching over the past week hasn't produced anything.

Old 02-04-2009 | 09:26 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior

Try looking through the www.vtwinmfg.com catalog. Any number of online suppliers and shops can order from them. I use www.discountcycleparts.com often if I need something through Vtwin, Drag or Custom chrome as they have a good price vs. suggested retail in the catalog. In fact I just ord. a Bates replica headlight from Vtwin through DCP for $37 (MSRP is like $50) so most parts ar typically 15-20% off and Vtwin has a lot of OEM cross ref. parts that are hard to find.

Old 02-04-2009 | 09:36 AM
glide05
Road Warrior

Here is the sad detail. This change SEEMS quite reasonable if you get a good deal on the tank. In reality - you're lucky if you're over 1/2 way there (dollar wise).

The WG consoles and indicator lamps rarely if ever show up on ebay, and quite frankly I've never seen ANY that would fit your year and model. Every now and then a 2004-up console shows up, and the bidding is pretty fierce. I don't know about your model year - but the fuel cap and gauge for a newer model can be had on ebay for not much money, if the sender is different between the SG and WG - that's likely a dealer item. Add in the speedometer, gaskets, idiots, screws, ignition switch - and yes the cost goes up fast. All of the parts - even from a 20% off dealer are probably going to cost you over $500 if you have to buy them new.

Ask me how I know?

woops - just noticed you have the console - that helps a bit, probably around $400 without having to buy that.

Last edited by glide05; 02-04-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-04-2009 | 09:43 AM
capttawes
Road Warrior

I just browsed the vtwin book and almost all you said you need is in there with HD part numbers cross referenced and far less than dealer. If you do need parts through a dealer use Zanottis, Hales or Chicago HD online as they sell most everything 20% off MSRP but you will still do better through Vtwin in most cases.

Glide is right though about all the little things adding up, the sending unit for example through Vtwin is $111.

Last edited by capttawes; 02-04-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-04-2009 | 09:48 AM
octane
Cruiser

Make buddies with your local indy! Mine hooks me and my buddies up with slightly above cost parts. I know that this is still kinda expensive but really helps out. If he has something sitting in his shop that has been there a while he will cut us a good deal on it. My buddies entire bike is built off take offs this guy had at his shop. Latest score was black powdered fork sliders for 40 bucks. Time before that was Sampson exhaust, slighly used, for 100 bucks.

Old 02-04-2009 | 11:31 AM
thomaskray
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by glide05
Here is the sad detail. This change SEEMS quite reasonable if you get a good deal on the tank. In reality - you're lucky if you're over 1/2 way there (dollar wise).

The WG consoles and indicator lamps rarely if ever show up on ebay, and quite frankly I've never seen ANY that would fit your year and model. Every now and then a 2004-up console shows up, and the bidding is pretty fierce. I don't know about your model year - but the fuel cap and gauge for a newer model can be had on ebay for not much money, if the sender is different between the SG and WG - that's likely a dealer item. Add in the speedometer, gaskets, idiots, screws, ignition switch - and yes the cost goes up fast. All of the parts - even from a 20% off dealer are probably going to cost you over $500 if you have to buy them new.

Ask me how I know?

woops - just noticed you have the console - that helps a bit, probably around $400 without having to buy that.
Yea. I knew going into this that the cost would be up there when you factor in ALL the detail parts. But it's a price I'm willing to pay in order to have a tank mount speedo. I got the tank for a little over $100. The console for $35. If I can get everything else and stay less than $500, I'll consider it a win.

Thanks for the input all.

Old 02-04-2009 | 11:52 AM
glide05
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by thomaskray
Yea. I knew going into this that the cost would be up there when you factor in ALL the detail parts. But it's a price I'm willing to pay in order to have a tank mount speedo. I got the tank for a little over $100. The console for $35. If I can get everything else and stay less than $500, I'll consider it a win.

Thanks for the input all.
You're way ahead of the game with those prices.
You should be able to stay under the $500, depending on the speedo. Should be able to get a used one for under $100 - but the mileage will be wrong. If you can deal with that - then the $500 total is within reach. The change on later years is more expensive because due to FI, there is a big hole in the top of the tank that gets covered by a plate. The plate and gasket are around $100

Good Luck - post pics when done.