Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's hear your nightmare story at the dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:16 PM
frankjake
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar situation as Jakeiniraq.

As some of you have read, I wrecked my brand new fat bob, so it's at the dealer where I purchased it, being re-built, from frame up.

When I first bought the bike it had some add-on's that I didn't want in the first place such as grips and foot pegs, mirrors and some other crap I didn't really like or want. But they knocked off the price of those items when I bought the bike, so I didn't care.

So my insuracne company will pay to have the bike put back together EXACTLY how it was when I bought, all the extras too.

So I talk to one of the service guys who did the original repair estimate and we both figue I can get some of the extra's replaced with extra's I really want, grips, foot pegs, etc.

So I'm waiting for the check from the insuracne company, which only took about a week to get, I call the dealer but my guy isn't there and I talk to someone else. This guy is just like the guy Jakeiniraq is talking about. He says they will order everything exactly like I bought it, no exceptions. Well I ended up just hangin up on this a$$hole and called my guy back the next day. He assured me he would order the parts I wanted and even gave me a print out with the part numbers.

Once my repair is fully complete, I will file a formal complaint. But I want to wait and make sure my bike is fixed before I start any trouble at the dealer. And I'll list this guys name along with the dealer so everyone can avoid this one person if they go into this shop.

There's on in every bunch.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Back in 2007 I had a new Road King and bought some low profile HD shocks at my dealer. I went to put them on and noticed pink grease on the right top shock bolt. When I pulled the bolt it was stripped/boogered...The piece on the frame was bad. This came like this from the factory or was done by the dealer during prep, I dunno the deal for installing the shocks... I was going to helicoil it, but decided the dealer should make it right. So I put it back in and called service department. They said to bring it in and would take care of it. Took it there and they had it about 30 minutes. I asked the service manager if they used a helicoil or timesert and he leaned out and asked the mechanic. He said he time-serted it and replaced the bolt. Got home and went to put my new shocks on and you guessed it. All he did was put a new bolt in, and now that one was boogered. I was hot. I ended up doing the helicoil myself. Thing that really got me, my wife worked there to boot and this was my second bike purchased there.

Well I had ordered some apes and the chrome guy called me to let me know they were in. Told him not to bother, I would be going elsewhere and the service dep would never touch my ride again. I think he told the owner and he even asked me to file a complaint. I filed the complaint when I bought my new Electra Glide 110 miles up the road from a referral that also gave me 2500 more on trade in then they tried to... I hate my local dealer. They never have parts I need and the owner is a straight up a$$whipe.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 PM
yoseppi
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops....

Old 02-04-2009, 07:21 PM
yoseppi
Tourer

You shoulda smelled foul when he started changing things after yout original negotiation. Once he saw you would bend, he decided to try and break you. Best way is when a salesman tries this tactic to make himself a few extra commission bucks, you tell him to go get Fu*ked and walk. Never continue the deal, ever, of your an open target for a salesman azzraping session.

Originally Posted by maniac cop 5
Taking a deep breath...

My local dealer couldn't get the bike I wanted in a timely fashion so I made a BIG mistake and called another dealer south of me who takes out full page magazine ads touting their prices and customer service. Called and spoke to salesman who said they had what I wanted and gave me a trade in price on my 6 month old, 700 mile pristine Nightster.

I trailered the bike there (a two hour drive) late on a Saturday. Salesman quotes me a great price on the new Fat Bob. The one I was getting had about $700 worth of black accessories, most of which I liked, and like I said at a great price.

Salesman immediately begins backing down on my trade in price. Says because I'm using my credit union and not HD financing that lowers my trade in. Then he says the tech said my bike was running rough and they would have to "tune" it. New trade in offer is $1000 lower than what he initially said. We argued and he gave me a little more by "adjusting" the price on the new bike. While he was doing my paperwork he was also writing up a deal on another guys' bike SIDE BY SIDE on the desk. All this time he was bragging to me and my girlfriend about how he was outselling the previous high seller there and that guy was pissed.

Since it was so late I couldn't get a copy of the contract. I left my Nightster there with the promise that the papers would be faxed to my credit union Monday morning and my bike would be delivered to me that afternoon. I also wrote them a check for $1000 for a deposit which was required even though I left my bike.

Monday my credit union guy calls and tells me that the contract shows the selling price of the new bike to be over $2000 more than I agreed. I called the salesman and he said that he had given me the price of the stock bike and had not realized that there were $2000 of accessories on it. I told him I checked the retail prices and it was just $750 worth of accessories and he said "Yeah , but there was a labor charge for putting them on". I argue with this guy for several more calls over the next few hours (I had taken the day off work in anticipation of getting my bike). Finally I told him to cancel the deal and he said they'd be keeping my $1000 deposit. I said fine, he could shove it up his butt and I would be coming for my old bike and also keep my self respect. I also told him I'd be blasting him on this board and my credit union would bad mouth him to any city employee that ever wanted to deal with them ever.

So now the sales manager gets on the phone. Better attitude and wants to know what can be done to save the deal. Several more calls and the price comes down. Tells me that the salesman was wrong about the HD financing lowering my trade in as well as my bike being out of tune. Now it's not a GREAT deal as before but it's an ok deal and acceptible. I ask what time are they delivering the bike. He says "The salesman didn't tell you? Our delivery guy is off this week".

By now it's after 2PM so off to Wal Mart for ties downs and then begin the 2 hour drive (again!!!) to get the bike. Finally get the bike home and unloaded by almost 10 PM.

To add insult, later that month the dealer emails me a special, offering a $1000 gift card and free extended warranty to anyone buying a new bike from Nov. 7th till Dec. 31st. I bought mine on Nov. 3rd!!!!! THANKS A LOT!

Icing on the cake... Harley starts their MSRP trade in deal a month later which would have given me $1500 more on my trade in... sigh...

Old 02-04-2009, 08:59 PM
JimmySG
Cruiser

I went to a dealer 2x , the first time was for my 1k service, that went OK because my indy was the service manager.
the second time i took it to another dealer for a dyno tune,only one cylinder was done right.
I'm done with them all.......

Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Gwjvw
Road Warrior

My local dealer sux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:12 PM
HDwoman1
Novice

My brother bought his softail (first bike ) back in 88 or so and took it in to have some custom work done on the motor, they called him two days later to tell him a fork lift driver back over his rear fender by accident, (really) they replaced the fender and gave him a new tire and it's never matched the paint on the rest of the bike. He still has the bike.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:22 PM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts

When I bought my bike it was late in the afternoon and they did not let me out until 5:00 closing time. My bike had brand new tires on it and they had been sitting on the showroom a while. While I was finalizing the paperwork, they took my bike back for the delivery prep.
Its now after closing time and they take my bike outside and bring me the key. I finally get out and hop on my new ride as the last employee locks me out.
I pull out into traffic and start to roll the throttle. The bike feels really uneasy and shakey. I immediately back off the throttle and pull in the gas station a half block from the dealer. As I pull in some guy filling his tank says, "Hey, your tire is really low" I pull up to the air pump and find there is only 18 pounds of air in front tire and 25 in the back!!!
I filled the brand new tires to 40 pounds and she rode like a dream home. Needless to say, I was at the dealer in the morning blasting the hell out of the service department. They apologized profusely and offered me some free service. I told them they couldnt pay me to ever let them touch my bike again.
This little mistake could have cost me my life.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't trust the dealer for **** and refused to be hammered for labor.
When I go for parts, I walk in with all the parts numbers in hand and have the parts jockey pull 'em up on the comp and tell me if they have 'em on hand or they gotta order.
I've done all my own work aside from two things that pertained to my motor and trans.
I buy a t-shirt on my own, no need for the cute sales girl with the big **** to tell me it looks good.
So, no horror stories.............

Old 02-05-2009, 11:28 AM
yoseppi
Tourer

Cute sales girl with big ****??

Damn, my dealer doesn't even have those, least it would be something else worth looking at while I go in to pick up my online parts.

Originally Posted by JayFromPa
I don't trust the dealer for **** and refused to be hammered for labor.
When I go for parts, I walk in with all the parts numbers in hand and have the parts jockey pull 'em up on the comp and tell me if they have 'em on hand or they gotta order.
I've done all my own work aside from two things that pertained to my motor and trans.
I buy a t-shirt on my own, no need for the cute sales girl with the big **** to tell me it looks good.
So, no horror stories.............

Quick Reply: Let's hear your nightmare story at the dealer.