Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Epoxy Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 PM
joker2041
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Epoxy Paint

What kind of epoxy paint do you recommend for painting lowers? I am going to be home from Afghanistan in about 1 month and i gotta get the bike I ordered over ready to ride when i get home. Its a denim black Street bob and i need to black out the front. I already got vrod headlight fairing from ebay, HD bars like the stock ones only in black, black short shots, drak air cover in black, and i am going to get the bike pinstriped with some green. So i figured the front forks need to be knocked out but i dont know what kind of paint exactly!

Thanks,
Chris!

Old 02-03-2009, 12:22 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Enamel epoxy or appliance paint. The enamel epoxy is for outdoor use. Maybe the appliance epoxy is the same. I used ace hardware brand.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 PM
juspasnthru
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would HIGHLY recommend Epxoy Primer from SPI (Southern Polyurethanes)-won't clog your Sandpaper when Blocking, is a high solids (for build) and affordable-if you have any questions you can even call the Owner of the Company (Barry Kives)-he'll give you his Cell #, and he'll even talk about Gun settings and problems with other Brands Paints (or his)-top quality-

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/homepage.htm

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com...202_0256-2.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the Street Rod I'm building (using SPI Epoxy in Black)-

Old 02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
FUQUA
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

APPLIANCE EPOXY SPRAYTechnical Documents

Mine look great......thanks to Rounder and Jrk5892

Last edited by FUQUA; 02-03-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:39 PM
juspasnthru
Cruiser

I would not use any Primer that is not catalized-it will fail in a short period of time, and won't have UV resistance-

Old 02-03-2009, 12:40 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by FUQUA
APPLIANCE EPOXY SPRAYTechnical DocumentsDownload LabelSIZES AVAILABLE:SprayQuartMine look great......thanks to Rounder and Jrk5892
yeah it does, now change that signature and show it off....lol....

Old 02-03-2009, 12:42 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by juspasnthru
I would not use any Primer that is not catalized-it will fail in a short period of time, and won't have UV resistance-
the spray can say's not to use primer.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:10 PM
juspasnthru
Cruiser

rounder,

First off (and I am not trying be confrontive), if you look at the Instructions on the Can on the Link you posted, it says the product is intended for indoor use-secondly, it is a non-catalized Enamel (that's the stuff they use to spray Tractors with-although that is a two-part Enamel).

If you want a long lasting finish and the parts are new, it would be a good idea to paint it with an Epoxy two-part primer-it will have an activator that will cause a chemical reaction, and cross link-it will, as a Body Shop Manager friend of mine says "be as hard as a Hocky Puck"-this will allow there to be a great base for Paint, and won't shrink.

From that point, I would probably use a Single Stage Paint-that will be the most cost effective, however a Base Coat/Clear Coat will generally give more depth and will probably be a better color match. These are also two-part. If you follow this procedure you will have a very durable finish. It really depends on how long you would like it to last, and how deep you want it to look-Enamel is best used for Lawn Furniture-

Old 02-03-2009, 01:19 PM
coachstorms
Tourer

I'm gonna go the Fuqua route soon. If it turns out like his I'll be happy, plus less down time than powdercoat...

Old 02-03-2009, 01:25 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

NO WAY less down time than powder coat! no way! i can powder a part and have it back on the bike wihtin 3 hrs... epoxy paint takes about a week to cure... i use it ALOT in all the colors as it holds up well to gas... i shot alot with it on my cafe build as well as did my lower legs on my HD... works great and is SUPER tuff... i got the Trick from Special Ed about a year ago... have never looked back, as wiht any paint... it is ALL IN THE PREP WORK!!!!
tank:

wheels:

wheels on the bike... also to give you an idea of match... my trees i powder coated gloss white (appliance white) the tank and side covers are white epoxy paint (rustoleum)

Quick Reply: Epoxy Paint