Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question of the day - Wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dumb question of the day - Wheel noise

I was reading that bearing noise thread, and it reminded me to ask this question:

On my 05 Sporty, the back wheel sometimes made a good bit of noise when at stops and just rolling a little. Sound like a moaning whine a little.

Now I have my brand new Bob, and it made a similar noise at a stop light last night from the rear tire. Nothing alarming sounding, just noticable.

Is this normal?

Last edited by DSnoopy; 02-02-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Are you sure it isn't just the brakes? If it quit making the noise after the first few stops I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jstreet0204
Are you sure it isn't just the brakes? If it quit making the noise after the first few stops I wouldn't worry about it.
The first few stops thing is usually what it is. Thanks!

Told ya it was a dumb question.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:12 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master

Not a dumb question at all. Condesation on the brakes can cause some rust to start on the rotors. First few stops cleans them off.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:44 PM
HELDVR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bearing Noise

Originally Posted by DSnoopy
I was reading that bearing noise thread, and it reminded me to ask this question:

On my 05 Sporty, the back wheel sometimes made a good bit of noise when at stops and just rolling a little. Sound like a moaning whine a little.

Now I have my brand new Bob, and it made a similar noise at a stop light last night from the rear tire. Nothing alarming sounding, just noticable.

Is this normal?
The noise that you might be hearing may the caused by the axle spacer. If the wheel is not alignned exactly true, the spacer does not line up correctly on the inner bearing race and the bearing will have a tendancy to spin. Typically at low speeds or when turning. This noise sounds like a bearing noise however when you check, the bearings are fine!

Hope this helps!

Old 02-02-2009, 01:39 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HELDVR
The noise that you might be hearing may the caused by the axle spacer. If the wheel is not alignned exactly true, the spacer does not line up correctly on the inner bearing race and the bearing will have a tendancy to spin. Typically at low speeds or when turning. This noise sounds like a bearing noise however when you check, the bearings are fine!

Hope this helps!
That sounds a little more like what I hear, as it happens on slow turns, when I have the idle down and can hear it occasionally.

Is this okay, or do I need to get it fixed/alligned?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it like this noise? I get this every once in a while, usually after riding at least 100 miles. In the video, I was coasting in neutral from about 15 mph till almost stopped.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bn7okHjVXU

Old 02-02-2009, 08:15 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny
Is it like this noise? I get this every once in a while, usually after riding at least 100 miles. In the video, I was coasting in neutral from about 15 mph till almost stopped.

I would check your upper belt guard, and it's spacing to the rear drive pulley. Also would check your rear rotor and pads.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Donny
OUCH! No, nothing that bad, just a minor whine when the wheel rolls, nothing noticable more than a few feet away.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
I would check your upper belt guard, and it's spacing to the rear drive pulley. Also would check your rear rotor and pads.
I took the upper belt guard off, as well as the brakes, and it didn't change. I need a new rear tire soon, so I'll be checking the wheel bearings then.

Quick Reply: Dumb question of the day - Wheel noise