Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question of the day - Wheel noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny
I took the upper belt guard off, as well as the brakes, and it didn't change. I need a new rear tire soon, so I'll be checking the wheel bearings then.
yikes... still got any warranty left??? have someone check it. Or your axle does not have enough anti seize and is binding with the bearings.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Belt tension too tight or misaligned rear wheel will cuase belt to ride incorrectly on pullies. Either one will whine. Easy to check both of these yourself. E-mail me at jmpancoast@juno.com if you would like me to send you the information.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
yikes... still got any warranty left??? have someone check it. Or your axle does not have enough anti seize and is binding with the bearings.
Yeah, I have warranty left, but I will figure it out myself. Dealer "techs" around here are a joke. I can do anything to my bike that needs to be done, it's just a matter of getting off my *** to do it. It only makes that noise once in a while, and only when hot. I took it in once, and the bike sat there for a few hours before they got to it, and by then the noise was gone, and they treated me like I was imagining things. They actually gave me that "It's a harley, they make noises" line! I'm done with dealers.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on what JM said, belt tension. When I first got my bike I had a whining/moaning noise (not from the girl on the back) at speeds lower then 25mph and it got worse the warmer it was and the longer I rode. Check the easy stuff first. I loosened the belt and it's fine.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:19 PM
cooper57M
Tourer
Default Wheel Noise

What was the outcome of this wheel noise? I just started hearing this noise for the first time myself. Did not do anything to the bike. Did not hear it last summer

Old 04-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSnoopy
I was reading that bearing noise thread, and it reminded me to ask this question:

On my 05 Sporty, the back wheel sometimes made a good bit of noise when at stops and just rolling a little. Sound like a moaning whine a little.

Now I have my brand new Bob, and it made a similar noise at a stop light last night from the rear tire. Nothing alarming sounding, just noticable.

Is this normal?
Deja vu all over again. Mine started with the aborted attempt to install the True Track. I've taken it to the dealer twice to see if the alignment was off, the last time they (supposedly) performed the entire engine alignment procedure by the book but it still makes the moaning noise when coasting to a stop. Only does it when the bike is good and warm, however. At this point I think I'm going to have to live with it.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM
prouddawg
Advanced
Default noise

Donny did ya ever figure out what that noise was. My 09 is doing the same thing.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hasn;t made it again since. I think that it was just a cold evening and hot brakes. Has not had any ongoing issues.