Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cut to fit new headlight... done.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009 | 01:25 PM
archergodwin
|
Elite HDF Member
Default Windshield cut to fit new headlight... done.

Well got the windshield cut to fit the new headlight and such.

Here's my steps:

1). Loosened my headlight and rotated it forward, so that I could attach the windshield.

2). Applied blue painters tape - two layers worth - to cover area being cut and surrounding area to protect from scratches.

3). Rotated the headlight back up to barely touching the windshield, and marked the edges of the light assembly + 1/4". Then marked a straight line up the windshield.

4). Not shown, however I then removed the windshield and rotated the headlight back up, to find where the top of the headlight winds up. Made mental note of that (it was even with the top of my handlebar mount).

5). Checkng step 4, with the windshield in the full up position, recheck where the top of the headlight would be with the windshield all the way up. Turns out its even with the stock opening.

6). I removed the windshield, and made cuts approximately halfway up, and reinstalled the windshield to check for alignment and such.

7). Now is when I raided the kitchen and found a pot lid that was pretty darn close to the diameter of the new headlight.

8). Using the top of my handlebar mount, I made a TOP cut mark and then using said pot lid, I finished marking my cut lines on the tape.

9). Finished cutting and remounted the windshield for another fittment/alignment check, and made some small adjustments. Windshield is in full down position here.

10). Picture of the blade I used in my jigsaw to make the cuts.

11). Windshield edges all filed and sanded smooth. Windshield in full down position.

12). Windshield in full up position.

13). Windshield bag remounted, and assembly in full down position. Everything still fits!

Tools used:
Jigsaw with fine blade.
medium coarse flat file with rounded back.
150 grit sandpaper.
350 grit sandpaper.
blue painters tape.

Hope this helps anybody else thinking about doing this. Was really a piece of cake.

Old 01-31-2009 | 01:28 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Looks good!!

Old 01-31-2009 | 01:31 PM
archergodwin
|
Elite HDF Member

Yup, now I'm getting suited up and I'm going riding.... even if it's only going into town and filling up with gas..... I'm getting out !

Old 01-31-2009 | 01:34 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Be safe!

Old 01-31-2009 | 01:39 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

Good job Archer! I wish mine was ready to ride. It's freaking 60 today and predicting 70 tomorrow. <GGGRRRRRR>

Old 01-31-2009 | 01:52 PM
Don51
Road Captain

Archer....Great job and it looks real nice. I've saved to my favorites!!! What head light is that you have?

Old 01-31-2009 | 02:36 PM
jrsmith_80
Tourer

Nice write up, my step dad has the same w/s as you and it is to tall for him. I am gonna forward this to him so he can see what you have done and maybe try it for himself.

Old 01-31-2009 | 05:16 PM
archergodwin
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Don51
Archer....Great job and it looks real nice. I've saved to my favorites!!! What head light is that you have?
It's a Fatboy headlight, made by Custom Chrome. Gary7 put the same one on his FXDC and I really liked the look, so did the same on mine: )

Thanks for the thumbs up!

Old 01-31-2009 | 05:25 PM
archergodwin
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JaronB
Be safe!
Wound up riding down to Lewiston and back.... stopped by Shumate and ate a dog and drank some coffee. Turns out I was the "guy" who came down from on top today......... crazy bastard... "

.... have no idea what they're talking about ....

Only a windchill of +16degrees for 35 miles ....one way....

Had to do it though.... not riding was driving me nuts.

Old 01-31-2009 | 05:38 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Nice. I was thinking about that just not today. How many layers of clothes did you put on. Maybe I'll next week when its in the 40s not the 30s. I bet it was nice and dry down in lewiston.

Quick Reply: Windshield cut to fit new headlight... done.