Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cut to fit new headlight... done.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009 | 07:58 PM
archergodwin
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jackyl
here is a tip that might save you in the long run. take a torch of some sort and swifty go around the edge without melting the edge. it will seal the edge, so it dont crack the sheild down the road, plus it takes all the burrs off to and leaves a nice finish. jackyl
I may do that tomorrow. Didn't think about that aspect of it - melting the edge to seal it back up, so to speak.

The edge is pretty nice anyway after 320 grit, but yeah the sealing of the edge is good idea. Thanks for the tip jackyl!

Old 01-31-2009 | 09:30 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Clip removed with Sylvania Ultra. I'll take it out and see how bright it is after dinner. You did have to cut it for the clip!

Old 01-31-2009 | 09:30 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Once you pull the housing out and have the bulb out, it just unscrews from the base of the housing and comes out.

So you have to modify/swap this too to fit the Custom Chrome Fat Boy head light? I did not read this in either yours or Gary's Posts.
CB

Old 01-31-2009 | 09:41 PM
archergodwin
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gary7
If he just unscrews that and takes it out he won't be able to put a bulb back in. The wire retainer that holds the bulb in clips right there by the screw. (See arrow.)

When I removed my bulb shield in the light on my Sportster, I cut it off just on the other side of that screw so I could attach that part back so the bulb retaining wire would have a place to clip.
Ah, sure enough. Thanks for the catch Gary!

Old 01-31-2009 | 09:49 PM
archergodwin
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
So you have to modify/swap this too to fit the Custom Chrome Fat Boy head light? I did not read this in either yours or Gary's Posts.
CB
No no.. Jaron was stating he was going to remove the bulb shield from his stock light. It just unscrews, however the spring that holds the bulb in place locks under the base of this contraption. So if someone really wants it out, either they cut the attachment base off and reuse that, or find something else to latch the lock spring under.

The CC fatboy headlight was an easy swap!

Old 01-31-2009 | 09:56 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by archergodwin
No no.. Jaron was stating he was going to remove the bulb shield from his stock light. It just unscrews, however the spring that holds the bulb in place locks under the base of this contraption. So if someone really wants it out, either they cut the attachment base off and reuse that, or find something else to latch the lock spring under.

The CC fatboy headlight was an easy swap!
Got ya, you had me scratchin' my head there for a minute. Thanks, CB

Old 02-01-2009 | 02:12 PM
archergodwin
|
Elite HDF Member

Okay, flame-sealed the edge of the windshield where I cut it. It didn't make much difference in the texture of the edge, as I had sanded it down pretty well with 320 grit. But I could see where the plastic flowed just a little bit.

I used a small propane torch, and did a nice even speed. Tried it out on the cut-off pieces first to find the right distance/speed.... so forth.

This should be a done deal!

Old 04-29-2009 | 08:32 AM
JRK5892
Banned

ahhh thank you thank you thank you!!!! i was going to turn this sucker down in a belt sander... this is much better! thanks!

Old 04-29-2009 | 08:47 AM
archergodwin
|
Elite HDF Member

Glad I had something that you could use!

Old 04-29-2009 | 10:01 AM
JRK5892
Banned

ooh hell ya! i really like the idea of sealing the shield up with heat after the cut... makes complete sense! i was wondering about spider webs after the cut. thanks again... i rode 2.5 hours last night in 40* weather... froze my tail off! i was missing my shield!

Quick Reply: Windshield cut to fit new headlight... done.