Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield cut to fit new headlight... done.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009 | 05:56 PM
archergodwin
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by JaronB
Nice. I was thinking about that just not today. How many layers of clothes did you put on. Maybe I'll next week when its in the 40s not the 30s. I bet it was nice and dry down in lewiston.
Really good thermals, jeans and chaps. Wigwam wool socks. Thermals on the upper with another thermal shirt on top of that, with a sweatshirt and then my leather jacket. Had to stop in at Tri-state and pick up some fleece glove liners for my main gloves, and full face helmet. Nothing electrically heated!

It got pretty cool on the ride back... was thinking some electrically heated items wouldn't have felt to bad

Yeah, it felt pretty good down in the valley. There were several riders stopped by...

Old 01-31-2009 | 06:11 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

I just walked down the block to check the mail and came to the realization that you are that crazy guy from the top of the hill. It's freakin cold out there!! Now I'm going to go back out there, but in the garage away from the wind and figure out how to take out the thingy in the headlight. I forgot what it was called. It's that metal thing!!

Old 01-31-2009 | 06:13 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Good to know that can be done. It really opens my options up for buying a widshield. I was able to get out today for a short ride. I buttoned things up and blew down the road with no tail light or rear brakes but I got to ride. Thanks for the write up Archer, great info!

Old 01-31-2009 | 06:27 PM
archergodwin
|
Elite HDF Member

I just walked down the block to check the mail and came to the realization that you are that crazy guy from the top of the hill. It's freakin cold out there!! Now I'm going to go back out there, but in the garage away from the wind and figure out how to take out the thingy in the headlight. I forgot what it was called. It's that metal thing!!

Once you pull the housing out and have the bulb out, it just unscrews from the base of the housing and comes out.

Old 01-31-2009 | 06:31 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Once you pull the housing out and have the bulb out, it just unscrews from the base of the housing and comes out.

Dang you're quick I haven't even made it out there yet!! Thanks though!

Old 01-31-2009 | 06:47 PM
archergodwin
|
Elite HDF Member

Dang you're quick I haven't even made it out there yet!! Thanks though!

No problem... just wanted you to know that you didn't have to cut the thing off with a dremel tool, like the guy in your headlight thread did.....

The dissassembly of the stock headlight is not rocket science. The only hard part was actually getting the darn plug off the bulb. It really didn't want to come off...

Old 01-31-2009 | 07:29 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by archergodwin
No problem... just wanted you to know that you didn't have to cut the thing off with a dremel tool, like the guy in your headlight thread did.....

The dissassembly of the stock headlight is not rocket science. The only hard part was actually getting the darn plug off the bulb. It really didn't want to come off...
If he just unscrews that and takes it out he won't be able to put a bulb back in. The wire retainer that holds the bulb in clips right there by the screw. (See arrow.)

When I removed my bulb shield in the light on my Sportster, I cut it off just on the other side of that screw so I could attach that part back so the bulb retaining wire would have a place to clip.

Old 01-31-2009 | 07:31 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Thumbs up Nice writeup!

Thanks for the write-up Archer!

Any tips for doing the cut? did you put any tape on the back side to keep it from chiping?

Glad you made it out today! Electric gear is worth it's weight in gold - 'course it cost's it weight in gold.
I'm glad I made the investment, with our Western Washington weather!

Old 01-31-2009 | 07:43 PM
archergodwin
|
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ratbob
Thanks for the write-up Archer!

Any tips for doing the cut? did you put any tape on the back side to keep it from chiping?
No I didn't have to put any on the backside. I figured the fine tooth blade would not try to take out overly big pieces. That and I kept the forward speed just above the point of where it wanted to melt... you know, like if you stayed in on spot too long.

Glad you made it out today! Electric gear is worth it's weight in gold - 'course it cost's it weight in gold.
I'm glad I made the investment, with our Western Washington weather!
I would be tempted to get some heated gloves. The hands were the only thing that got cold today.

Old 01-31-2009 | 07:43 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member

here is a tip that might save you in the long run. take a torch of some sort and swifty go around the edge without melting the edge. it will seal the edge, so it dont crack the sheild down the road, plus it takes all the burrs off to and leaves a nice finish. jackyl

Quick Reply: Windshield cut to fit new headlight... done.