Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions on wheel finish.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Decisions on wheel finish.

I own a Street Bob in denim black have had various parts powdercoated black(fork lowers,triple trees,handle bars,levers,headlamp bezel,battery strap,rear fender mounts and sissy bar)and am now thinking of my next move with the wheels,they're standard chrome now but want to change the look.there are a few options and I'll start with the cheapest.

A)All black p/c
B)All black p/c but leaving the nipples chrome.
C)Black p/c hub and wheel with chrome spokes.
D)Chrome hub and spokes with black p/c rim.

Any suggestions would be welcome and if any one can add pictures of any of these wheel finishes for comparison it would be much appreciated ...

Thanks in advance Sumpnut.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:27 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

chrome rings, with black spokes hubs, nipples, and show ring... make them different bud!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:29 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

keep the chrome rims and hub. Black spokes and nipples. With the spokes being the PITA to clean, black spokes will probably be easier than chrome ones. I would also recommend that you buy lyndall pads to install when you get your wheels done. Without all the brake dust, cleanup is a breeze with simple soap and water. I also think you should stick to a chrome pipe as well. Hard to tell without any pictures of you scoot though.

One more thing, do the thick spokes that are available as opposed to the standard thin ones. Looks sweet.

Last edited by rounder; 01-28-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sumpnut
I own a Street Bob in denim black have had various parts powdercoated black(fork lowers,triple trees,handle bars,levers,headlamp bezel,battery strap,rear fender mounts and sissy bar)and am now thinking of my next move with the wheels,they're standard chrome now but want to change the look.there are a few options and I'll start with the cheapest.

A)All black p/c
B)All black p/c but leaving the nipples chrome.
C)Black p/c hub and wheel with chrome spokes.
D)Chrome hub and spokes with black p/c rim.

Any suggestions would be welcome and if any one can add pictures of any of these wheel finishes for comparison it would be much appreciated ...

Thanks in advance Sumpnut.
I hear 'ya with your contemplation about wheel finishing. I am thinkin' on what color and finish to powder coat the wheels on my bike.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:49 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like C. But I could easily be convinced to p/c the spokes because of how hard they are to keep clean. Some fat or even twisted p/c'd spokes would look good.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by rounder
chrome wheels and hub. Black spokes and nipples. With the spokes being the PITA to clean, black spokes will probably be easier than chrome ones. I would also recommend that you buy lyndall pads to install when you get your wheels done. Without all the brake dust, cleanup is a breeze with simple soap and water. I also think you should stick to a chrome pipe as well. Hard to tell without any pictures of you scoot though.

One more thing, do the thick spokes that are available as opposed to the standard thin ones. Looks sweet.
Ive got chrome pipes(V&H) and did play with the idea of getting them p/c to but decided against it as the bike would be too black.Picking the bike up from the shop on friday and will be of course putting some before and after pics in

Old 01-28-2009, 10:52 AM
FUQUA
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black lip, chrome nipple,black spokes,chrome hub......that'd be awesome.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:04 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline
I hear 'ya with your contemplation about wheel finishing. I am thinkin' on what color and finish to powder coat the wheels on my bike.
your bike is a perfect chrome to black mix. Those wheels do look good in gloss black powder. I think if you did that, the pipes would look better chrome.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:52 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRK5892
chrome rings, with black spokes hubs, nipples, and show ring... make them different bud!
I think that would look good if they were fat spokes. I think you mentioned in another thread that you could get fat spokes for the stock wheels. Do you have an info on where to get them?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

HD wheels sells them... tell Ondre i say sup! fatty spokes look great!

Quick Reply: Decisions on wheel finish.