Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynas' run hot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 11:43 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are going to put pipes and air filter on it then yes, you should have it re-mapped but just because it is set at 14.7/1 af ratio at the factory doesn't mean it will run "hot". Remember that by richening it up you will also have more carbon build-up to clog the exhaust and get build-up on the pistons and valves, not to mention the decreased fuel mileage. These companies that sell all this stuff want you to believe the bike will be harmed if you don't do bla bla to it because they want your money. Alot of products may increase performance but not necessarily longevity. I have an 02 wide glide and the only jetting I've done is the pilot jet (up one size) to offset the lean pop at light throttle increase and I have the k&n, and baffles removed. I get 45-50 mpg/ 2-up and have almost 87k and it doesn't use oil between changes at 5k intervals using mobil 1. don't believe most of what you're told about extras for your bike. JMO but I've been a wrench for 45 years and own my own shop-----jack/ just looking out for you

Old 05-02-2009, 03:24 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Tony

Those bags look good, the new Rigid ones, right? Can you post a side view to see what they look like? I am still leaning towards those, but no shop I've been to has them in stock to see. I refuse to buy them sight unseen, so for now, I bought a good set of used Leather Pros.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:48 PM
chugchug
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i was really wanting to squeeze more power out of the bike,I would likely go ahead and buy the PC or V&H fuel pak,A/C and get everything tuned,But i cant justify the expense,So i will eliminate the biggest problem first and to me,thats cylinder temps that are too high because of a lean air/fuel mixture the XIED will do it,I will also switch to SYN3 i did on my 1200xl,and i know the oil temp dropped 10-15 degrees.I'm aware i will lose some mileage but to me it's a good trade,less likely engine damage for a little less mpg

Old 05-05-2009, 05:49 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Xieds really aren't going to do it! It's such a minute change, if at all, which make it unnoticeable. It will in fact likely throw a code that is no big deal and easy to clear. The Xied is merely a psychological expense with minimal to no beneficial end result. If your going to do it, do it right the first time. Re Map it, reap the benefit of mapping and be done with it. Anything else is a band-aid and you are fooling yourself.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Xieds really aren't going to do it! It's such a minute change, if at all, which make it unnoticeable. It will in fact likely throw a code that is no big deal and easy to clear. The Xied is merely a psychological expense with minimal to no beneficial end result.
And your assessment is based on how many miles of testing you've done of the Xieds?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM
BoozerHi
Cruiser

he is a blockhead

Old 05-06-2009, 05:47 AM
creekhed1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually thinking of putting on some IED's in tamdem with my Fuelpak as the FP only changes things in open loop. Still runs "Stock AFR" in closed loop.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Keep it cooler

Originally Posted by creekhed1
I was actually thinking of putting on some IED's in tamdem with my Fuelpak as the FP only changes things in open loop. Still runs "Stock AFR" in closed loop.
I ride an '08 Ultra and I cooled it down. I put on true duals with slip-on Rush, k&n a/c, xieds and v&h fuelpak. I entered the recommended codes provided by v&h...the bike ran like it never did, much more power, slight loss in gas mileage (1 mpg), no popping on decel, cooler by degrees. I was going to add an oil cooler, but decided to put an oil temp guage on it first, don't need the oil cooler. On the hottest days in stop and go traffic, I see the oil temp go to 275 max, that's with a sidecar and a passenger.
So it sounds to me that you are headed in the right direction. If you have any doubts about the xieds, just give Steve a call at Nightrider, he is an educated and experienced man and knows his stuff.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:25 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gary7
And your assessment is based on how many miles of testing you've done of the Xieds?

Long enough to know there was NO benefit of the XIED while in closed loop, which is where I wanted help. Only a Tuner will do what is needed, so I switched. That was the best end result possible! Power, better throttle response and a cooler motor, Xieds can't do that..

Old 05-07-2009, 04:31 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A good tune, syn, and oil cooler. Will allow the engine to run cooler. I have all three and will put it to the test in next day or so as the temps reach into the 90's.

Quick Reply: Dynas' run hot?