Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynas' run hot?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:34 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are talking about sitting on the bike and singeing you legs or feeling quite warm at a stop light, an oil cooler is not going to make any difference. Sure the cooler will help keep non-synthetic oil from breaking down, perhaps bearings seising with the heat, and perhaps keep the lower cylinders and pistons a little cooler, which is good. Just about all high performance bikes have them.

The heat you feel when riding is coming from the exhaust and perhaps a bit from the head. To completely burn the fuel for emissions, engines run lean and exhaust/head temperatures skyrocket. Back in the day we would count on a rich fuel mixture to cool the heads and valves. Valves take a real beating with this kind of heat.

Directing the heat away from the rider (farings, exhaust routing, and water cooling) and insulation (thick pants) are effective methods for comfort, but the only thing practical, I think, for these bikes is reducing exhaust temperatures by richening the mixture and sucking it up... .

Old 05-01-2009, 12:34 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hear great things about tha XiED..... IT WILL REDUCE GAS MILEAGE, since you're bike wont run as lean.......so you might want to re-calculate if you don't rely on your gas guage. I was going to go that route, but decided to change my pipes over to V&H full pipes ( not slip on's) ...and when I did that along with the new A/C, I decided to go all the way and buy a PCIII. So an XiED wasn't needed. Let us know how it works out.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:35 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverV
I think you guys are confusing oil temp with cylinder head temp. Adding an oil cooler and using syn will not reduce your cylinder head temp. Decreasing your AFR will not reduce your oil temp.

Both effect the other. Oil is circulated through the heads. The oil absorbs heat from the heads and transfers some of it out through the oil cooler if one is present keeping heads cooler. If you lower combustion temps with a richer AFR less heat is absorbed into the oil keeping the oil temp cooler.

Last edited by jstreet0204; 05-01-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:29 PM
El Jinete Fantasma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LWOS
I hear ya...... You know, California has the strictest environmental standards in all the country......yet they still have the same, lousy air quality and smog.
You should have seen the junk that would hang over downtown L.A. when I first moved here in '88! Now we only see it a few times a year.

As for the topic... once I switched to synthetic and installed the O2 IEDs my engine no longer makes a decent hand-warmer.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:29 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Forget the XIED's, don't waste your $$! I had em, got rid of them! Put that $$ towards a Tuner, pipes and AC. That is the only way to cool that thing down! Your fooling yourself otherwise! The XIED's can no way do what a tuner will! You will feel the difference, I guarantee!

Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 PM
txtec
Banned

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Forget the XIED's, don't waste your $$! I had em, got rid of them! Put that $$ towards a Tuner, pipes and AC. That is the only way to cool that thing down! Your fooling yourself otherwise! The XIED's can no way do what a tuner will! You will feel the difference, I guarantee!
+1000,best answer so far

Old 05-02-2009, 12:50 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chugchug
I have been reading a few articles about the 96ci engines running hot,or hotter than most people are comfortable with,And are concerned about the longevity of their bikes engine,To my understanding the engines are running hotter because of the engine management systems,running very lean condition to bring the emissions within acceptable limits,and i get the idea that running 'lean' will make an engine run hot and even create severe damage.I havent run my fxd at all,it went from the showroom to dealer storage as soon as the ink was dry on the paper.What can i do to get it to run cooler aside from running synthetic oil or an oil cooler?The combustion chamber,pistons/valves etc. Are still going to be running uncomfortably hotter.So i'm thinking i will have to do something to the fuel/air/timing to bring the temps down to something more acceptable.I'm here in maine and i dont have to have the bike 'smog tested' so i have a little wiggle room to make small changes.Any suggestions?
The cheapest way is to buy and install Jackyls tank lift kit, this will allow more air flow across your heads as you are moving, the next cheapest way is to buy and install one of the fans that sits inbetween the two cylinders, the third cheapest way is to change the dino oil out with syn3 or other syntetic, then the new (free flowing air cleaner), tuner, then change the pipes to a more free flowing pipe than stock (and you get a good sound as well ). From everything I have read I would not use the xied's on my bike, but if you decide to it is your choice.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:12 AM
'09fxdb
Tourer

Originally Posted by LWOS
I hear great things about tha XiED..... IT WILL REDUCE GAS MILEAGE, since you're bike wont run as lean.......so you might want to re-calculate if you don't rely on your gas guage. I was going to go that route, but decided to change my pipes over to V&H full pipes ( not slip on's) ...and when I did that along with the new A/C, I decided to go all the way and buy a PCIII. So an XiED wasn't needed. Let us know how it works out.
And my idea of a 7 yr. warranty and trading it in before 7 yrs. was too expensive???

Old 05-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Milan
Banned

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
The cheapest way is to buy and install Jackyls tank lift kit, this will allow more air flow across your heads as you are moving, the next cheapest way is to buy and install one of the fans that sits inbetween the two cylinders, the third cheapest way is to change the dino oil out with syn3 or other syntetic, then the new (free flowing air cleaner), tuner, then change the pipes to a more free flowing pipe than stock (and you get a good sound as well ). From everything I have read I would not use the xied's on my bike, but if you decide to it is your choice.
If you have a oil cooler another option is to install fans on the cooler.
Milan

Old 05-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

A Stage I kit and syn oil turned it into a relative iceberg!

Quick Reply: Dynas' run hot?