Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a rattle can paint job look as good as a pro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:31 PM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Based on what I can see in those pics... looks like you did a DAMN fine job for a rattle can paint job. Nice work!

Old 01-24-2009, 05:32 PM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great to me I just bought a fatboy front fender to go on my wide glide front end I have on my street bob and I am going to flat black can paint it if it turns out good I am going to do the tank and rear fender to so they all match. I painted a trailer i built for my canoe a few years back with spray cans and it rurned out great. So you can do it it just takes time as you now know. Keep up the good work

Old 01-24-2009, 09:21 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hard aground
Nothing wrong with that job !

Rattle cans seem to work fine for me for the first 2 minutes, then the pressure drops & they start to throw uneven amounts of paint.

With infrequently painting small parts on bikes, it's hardly worth the expense and hassle of a compressor and cleaning spray guns, unless it's used often or to drive other air tools.

I rattle canned an antique tractor 2 years ago and it came out real nice but it took it 48 cans !! Should've bought a compressor...
Keeping the nozzles clean is a major "to do". Every few strokes I turned the can upside down, cleared the paint, cleaned the tip and then made sure the paint was coming out evenly and there was enough paint in the can to spray at whatever angle I was going to be painting. It does take a lot of paint I would have been better off using a gun considering I have a good compressor.

Originally Posted by ffdharley3
Hey Sniper77, turned out real nice. Keep going; can you give a brief explanation of prep and application? Thinkin about sprayin a front fender????
I found several writeups and tons of youtube videos about painting but the one I found most helpful was right here. I used it over and again making sure I was doing each step right.
Use it and have at it, let's see some pics when your finished!

Originally Posted by luckyB
Based on what I can see in those pics... looks like you did a DAMN fine job for a rattle can paint job. Nice work!
Thanks! and thanks to all that have commented. I know paint is especially hard to judge from pictures online but I just wanted to let some folks know that when there's a will (and not very much money) there's a way.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:32 PM
totalgearhead
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

More fuel for thought, I was amazed to find out people paint there cages with a ROLLER! And the results will surprise you! The thing i realized is that prep is everything and the real work comes in the wetsanding and polishing stages. The smoother the coats of paint, the least amount of work, but as long as you have enough paint not to sand through you should be ok. Not sure on the policy for outside links? AN dno I have not tried and don't recomend it.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Old 01-25-2009, 06:06 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

That is an amazing read totalgearhead, Thanks!!!

This one is getting bookmarked.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:38 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a neighbor who I called the "rattlecan king" he was always spraying something with a rattle can. Bottom line...if it works for you...if you like the results then it's terrific. I've seen some amazing things done with rattle cans...

Old 01-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by totalgearhead
More fuel for thought, I was amazed to find out people paint there cages with a ROLLER! And the results will surprise you! The thing i realized is that prep is everything and the real work comes in the wetsanding and polishing stages. The smoother the coats of paint, the least amount of work, but as long as you have enough paint not to sand through you should be ok. Not sure on the policy for outside links? AN dno I have not tried and don't recomend it.

Really interesting, and it reminds me of something. I knew a guy back when that was a Jaguar lover and had an early 50's (I think) Jag sedan that had the richest black paint you'll ever see...much nicer than the new Jag he also had. He said the secret was that back then they used a different method- the paint was slopped on with a brush and then sanded and buffed down to the finish. The result was amazing. Haven't thought about that for years.....

Last edited by Dawg Rider; 01-25-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:52 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by totalgearhead

great info. gonna try this out myself

Old 01-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Lou E
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks great and I really like that fender, nice job!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:19 AM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nice work. i'm a big fan, of da rattle can.

Quick Reply: Can a rattle can paint job look as good as a pro?