Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXR vs Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:51 PM
creep1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres my 2 cents. Ive owned a 93 FXR for many years now. Done every possible upgrade/mod you can do. I love it , favorite bike ive ever owned. That being said Ive always admired the dyna family especially the fxdx series. As much as I love the FXR I wanted the modern conveniences the dynas had to offer. But until 06 I wasnt completely sold. In 07' when I saw the new frame, 49mm front end 96" and 6 speed trans I knew eventually Id own one. I had periodically been asking a few loyal FXR guys in a certain "club" who now ride new fxd's what they thought of them and they all said the same thing. " The new FXD's are better than FXR's". This is coming from guys who lived and breathed FXR's, rode the sh** outta them and part of the reason they are so iconic today.! These opinions were golden in my book.Fast foward to a few months ago. Pulled the trigger , on my way to take delivery of my new 2010 FXD. So im on my way home- first impression...The front end is amazing ! Huge improvemnt over narrowglide. Frame feels stout, power is there. Fuel injection is great. Bigger rear wheel leaves a more planted feeling to the pavement. Cornering is tight. A + in my book. To make a comparison to my FXR is unfair due to the many mods I have done. But by the end of the summer after my FXD is finished I will post a more accurate comparison. BUT... stock 93 FXR VS Stock 2010 FXD. FXD wins hands down !!

Last edited by creep1; 06-11-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:01 PM

That's good to hear. I had an FXR, but it has been a while, so my memories of it may be somewhat tainted.

BTW, I know who you're talking about, I'm a big fan of an ex-president of theirs.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:32 AM
DiSimone
Intermediate
Default Coastline Manufacturing Link?

Hey Saint,
Do you have a link to Coastline Manufacturing? I'm coming up empty trying to search for them. Wanted to check out the FXRs you mentioned.
Thanks,
Jim

Old 06-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Dynamic
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an 85 FXRC in mostly stock condition, but with a lot of upgrades, like late model belt and pulleys, upgraded transmission bearings, Sun rims and stainless spokes (previous owner had me build the wheels with a 21 in front) and the brown seat was recovered black
FYI... the swingarm on the FXR is FRAME mounted, not on the back of the gearbox like the Dynaglides. There are support blocks mounted to each side of the frame with rubber inserts. I changed these five years ago, so am familiar with them. It has the 35mm forks and adequate disc brake power. I have several Dynas, an XR1200, and an Ultra Classic. The FXR is the smoothest running bike by far. It handles adequately, but still has the original shocks (!!) and so could be improved enormously.
I just fitted a pair of Ohlins shocks (adjustable for length, set at 13.2", about an inch longer than stock for the FXD shocks and an inch and a half longer than FXDL shocks. These made an ENORMOUS improvement in handling. Really shows the shortcomings of the stock shocks and forks. I'm considering ordering a complete XR1200 fork and wheel assy. for this 07 Dyna. Or just go through the fork (I have a spare), install some valving, work with the oil viscosity, install progressive springs and a Vrod lower leg to get a second brake OR the big disc and six pot caliper from a blown up Buell I just picked up. I'm looking for better handling, lighter weight, and better brakes. I want the agility of my 68 Triumph and the grunt of the Dyna. The overdrive is overkill over here on the island, so I'm also looking to gear it down with a belt primary drive or in the rear drive. Maybe have to convert to chain for that. Don't know yet, still learning what's available. If anybody has done anything like this, let me know.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:12 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FXR frames are available for twin cam engines in the Drag Specialties catalog for about $3800. The swingarm that comes with them looks very much like the one Chopperguys makes but I can't say what brand of manufacture those frames are.

The Dynas and FXRs are both rubber mounted front and rear, the big difference in the two is the way the swingarm/transmission/frame are mounted to each other.
In the FXR, the swingarm pivot goes through the frame, swingarm, transmission, swingarm, and frame. This gives the FXR two points of attachment at the outer edge to the frame.
In the Dyna chassis the swingarm pivot goes through the swingarm, transmission, swingarm with the transmission mounted to the frame via a rubber mount. With no actual outer frame connecting points, the Dyna swingarm is subject to greater flex under lateral forces than the older FXR (and current FLH) swingarm. The Dyna relies primarily on a strong backbone that carries through to the transmission mount. Perhaps cheaper to manufacture but certainly not capable of the rigidity of the FXR whose backbone split right under the seat, went outboard and met the engine cradle below and behind the transmission and then had the extra enforcement of twin tubes going vertical and rearward to finish the seat pan area and strengthen the rear struts.
The FXRs were still rubber mounted and could flex under lateral loading but not to the extent the Dyna is subject to.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:33 AM
henderson791
Banned

There's still NO comparison to the great FXR. You can get close with some mods to the dyna's suspension and tweaking to other components, but still, the FXR is KING of well handling in harley land.

--------------------------------------------------

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 02-23-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: removed spam links
Old 06-17-2010, 06:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Just adding a bit more to sniper's words, the FXR rear mount is similar to the FL family up to 2009. That rear rubber mounting benefits from a True-Track rear stabilizer on both models, which then gives them three stabilizers like Erik Buell always intended they should have.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:54 AM
creep1
Road Captain

I definetly agree that the swingarm mounting on the FXR is much superior. But... I think when asking Bike vs Bike- pound for pound. The new dynas offer much more and are superior in more areas. Everything from 49mm front end to wheelbase to the new style cast wheels to- ect.. you get my point. The question always asked is what "bike' is better-NOT what swingarm mounting is better. I my self am gonna put a rear stabilizer on. dont know which one im gonna go with. thats gonna be for another thread I guess unless someone wants to chirp in with suggestions

Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

By the way, did anyone notice this thread is 1 1/2 years old? I'd put my 2005 modified FXDX clone with fork brace and True-track up against any FXR on a twisty mountain road.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:19 AM
skunk ape
Advanced

I had the pleasure of riding my former 92 FXRS last month. Man i remember why I liked that bike so much. I like it better than my 06 FXDB

Quick Reply: FXR vs Dyna?