Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just drove home the Street Bob - first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Handycam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just drove home the Street Bob - first impressions

I took advantage of the good timing and decent weather to ride my 883L to the dealer for its trade-in for my new 2007 Street Bob.

Riding home on the SB my initial impressions:

1- They had the mini ape bars tilted too far forward I think. Was a bit hard on my shoulders

2- Forward controls are a new experience. Generally, it was more comfortable, but my "sense memory" expected things to be where I was used to (mid controls). I expect I'll get used to them quickly.

3- The seat that was on it sucked. Some aftermarket 2-up monstrosity. I could use something a bit lower and that keeps me more forward.

4- The bigger engine and forward controls were making me feel a big bow-legged

5- Generally fit me better, at 5'10"/230lbs the 883 felt a little cramped

6- What is up with the kickstand? At first I couldn't even find it from the bike when I got home. It barely peeks out under the motor. Is it worth getting an extension, or is there a trick to it?

7- The power on the highway was awesome. Could keep up with traffic 65-70 not even working hard. Pick-up felt effortless!

8- The dealer warned me that the gas had stabilizer in it so the exhaust might pop a bit, and it did. Hopefully after winter and normal gas this will stop, or I'll bring it in

So that was my first 25 miles on the new bike. Still snow everywhere and it's going back to the low 20's for the next week or so, so the poor thing will have to sit in the garage. Still, I am glad I made the switch.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice bike.

That seat looks like Harley's Sundowner or Touring seat. They are ugly as sin, but are supposed to be comfy on the long haul.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:30 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats.

Use your heel instead of your toe to lower the kickstand.Once you get used to it you'll never have a problem.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 01-23-2009, 06:33 PM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stock solo seat works good for me i am only 5' 7" and it puts me colse to the front of the seat so its eaiser to reach the forward controls. You will grow to love the bike its a great ride I am on my second one and love the beast for what it is just a plain bike that you can fix up the way you want. Have fun and ride safe.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:53 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

haha yea I remember having to get used to the kickstand too but it will come to you in time and after a while you won't even think twice when you put it down.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Handycam
Tourer

Originally Posted by ratt196635
the stock solo seat works good for me i am only 5' 7" and it puts me colse to the front of the seat so its eaiser to reach the forward controls. You will grow to love the bike its a great ride I am on my second one and love the beast for what it is just a plain bike that you can fix up the way you want. Have fun and ride safe.
Yeah I sat on another one with a stock seat and I was flat-footing. This big seat is too wide. This one happened to come with this one as a "plus". I will see if they will give me a stock one, if not I might buy a Reach.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:30 PM
EDZ82FXR
Road Captain

I actually love my stock seat, reason being because on my 82 I have a LePera and boy is that thing a POS LoL..As for the kickstand, yea i remember putting it down with my friggen hand a few times because I got so mad b/c I couldnt find it..Ok maybe not mad but agitated..I will be getting the extension or another kickstand soon...Also I started mine up at 6 oclock this afternoon...God How I Love/Miss That Sound...

Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Handycam
Tourer

Yeah when I got it home I was going to call my son in the house with my cell phone to come out and find it! I was wearing my full face helmet, so it's hard to see down. I finally took off the helmet and saw it peeking out. Pretty stupid design, if you ask me.

At least up here in NY it hit 40 today, first day on the bike since Nov.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:48 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Handy: you get used to where the kickstand is... trust us. A bit more riding, and it will be second nature to get it down.

That sundowner seat is really comfortable, but yes... ugly. I will eventually get a solo of some type to do short runs.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Nickpisp
Road Captain

I'm with what everyone else says on the kickstand, you'll get used to running your heel along the primary till you hit it.

Quick Reply: Just drove home the Street Bob - first impressions