Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy headlight on 09 FXDC [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
Yes, I cut the original wires on the harness right at the old headlight connector. Then I spliced the wires on the new headlight connector and the harness and used crimp-on plug-in connectors....
You had to cut the wires? What type of plug does the bulb take on the new assembly?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Gary I love the look, was thinking about getting a bullet shaped large 7" light but could not find an economical option. I muight go this route, does it interfere with the windsheild?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by archergodwin
You had to cut the wires? What type of plug does the bulb take on the new assembly?
You have to cut the wires to get the harness out of the old headlight bucket. No other way. (You also have to cut off the molded on plastic grommet that secures the harness at the hole where it enters the bucket. That was a real pain in the ***, and the most time consuming aspect of the whole project because you have to be careful not to cut the wiring harness.)

The new headlight uses the same 3-prong headlight connector because it uses the same H4 type bulb.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Gary I love the look, was thinking about getting a bullet shaped large 7" light but could not find an economical option. I muight go this route, does it interfere with the windsheild?
It can interfere, depending on the type windshield and the mounting system. I have a 17" Memphis Slim and I had to move the mounts up on the fork tubes in order to clear the bigger headlight. Now the windshield is too high (top is above eye-level when I'm riding), so I'm going to have to get the 15" model.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
You have to cut the wires to get the harness out of the old headlight bucket. No other way. (You also have to cut off the molded on plastic grommet that secures the harness at the hole where it enters the bucket. That was a real pain in the ***, and the most time consuming aspect of the whole project because you have to be careful not to cut the wiring harness.)

The new headlight uses the same 3-prong headlight connector because it uses the same H4 type bulb.
Oh man... you didn't have to cut the wires.
The wires with the crimped on terminals, pull out of the connector that's in the backbone. (with a little finesse) I've got my headlight wire bundle out in one piece - grommet included.

As far as the grommet, it just pulls out... towards the inside of the bucket.

For the wires that plug-in, in the backbone, I used a very small jeweler's screwdriver and inserted it in the plug, to unlock the terminals. I'll try to take some pics of that tonight, if that will help anybody else.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by archergodwin
As far as the grommet, it just pulls out... towards the inside of the bucket.
If you can do that, you're a better man than I am! The grommet on mine was hard plastic. No way it was going to pull through the hole. I tried, believe me.

If you're able to pull the entire wiring harness, intact, out of the old bucket, then putting the new one on will be a snap. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:15 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gary,
I hope you don't think I was criticizing your bike as I think it looks sharp with the new head light. What I was trying to ask, is there any room to move the headlamp back? It looks like a mounting block could be made to locate it back further if there are not any clearance issues?
CB

Old 01-26-2009, 11:24 AM
MarksBOB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fitted mine with the 07 fatboy wires, same plug.
unplug streetbob headlight, plug in fatboy headlight. Easy job.

Attached Thumbnails Fat Boy headlight on 09 FXDC [pics]-1black-front.jpg  
Old 01-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MarksBOB
Fitted mine with the 07 fatboy wires, same plug.
unplug streetbob headlight, plug in fatboy headlight. Easy job.
Yes, if you use an OEM Harley Fat Boy headlight, complete with harness, then it would just be a matter of pulling the old harness out of the frame, unplugging it, and plugging in the new one.

The light I used was an aftermarket one. It did come with a wiring harness, but no plug on the end, just the cut off wires. For me, the easiest and simplest way to install was the way I chose to do it. YMMV.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
Gary,
I hope you don't think I was criticizing your bike as I think it looks sharp with the new head light. What I was trying to ask, is there any room to move the headlamp back? It looks like a mounting block could be made to locate it back further if there are not any clearance issues?
CB
Absolutely. With a different mounting block, there is lots of room to position the light further back.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy headlight on 09 FXDC [pics]