Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy headlight on 09 FXDC [pics]

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary7
That's because you've got that suck-*** sealed beam in there. The beam pattern on those is awful.

I thought you were going to get one of the Autopal H4 Euro-spec headlights I posted a link to?
hahaha......I am eventually! Go easy on me man, I am still getting over the butt raping I get from Santa Claus every year

Old 01-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rdondes
Hey Gary,

Does the Fat Boy light give off more light than the stock headlight?
Okay, I can report now on the light output after dark. Keep in mind that you can get crappy 7" headlights and superb 7" headlights, and I can say without question that the one that comes in this Custom Chrome replacement unit for the Fat Boy is outstanding. Throws a much wider and more even pattern on lo-beam than the stock 5.75" light, and on hi-beam it reaches out for close to a mile. It actually reminds me of the Cibie Z-Beam I had back in the early 80s. Now that was a headlight.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:48 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Okay, I can report now on the light output after dark. Keep in mind that you can get crappy 7" headlights and superb 7" headlights, and I can say without question that the one that comes in this Custom Chrome replacement unit for the Fat Boy is outstanding. Throws a much wider and more even pattern on lo-beam than the stock 5.75" light, and on hi-beam it reaches out for close to a mile. It actually reminds me of the Cibie Z-Beam I had back in the early 80s. Now that was a headlight.
Gary, from where did you purchase your headlight? I plan on replacing the bulb anyway, but the bulb is useless unless the reflector is good as well.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:05 PM
PsTaN
Road Master

Gary ..... that does look great. You have really done well in personalizing that bike in the short time its been yours. Nice work!!

PsTaN

Old 01-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Gary, from where did you purchase your headlight? I plan on replacing the bulb anyway, but the bulb is useless unless the reflector is good as well.
It's made by Custom Chrome, part # 30121. I got it on ebay from J&J Power Sports. Click here.

If you just need a good headlight, and not the whole assembly, I can highly recommend the Autopal ones sold on ebay. I had one of those in my Sportster. Great beam pattern and distance. (If the lamp that came in this Custom Chrome unit had been crap, I was going to order one of these.)

Old 01-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Exclamation

Just found another H4 alternative worth considering. The Cibie Z-Beam was a fantastic headlight in its day, but sadly they are no longer made. But it appears one of the lighting manufacturers in India is duplicating the Z-Beam lens. You can get these Z-Beam clones here for $17.95. I can attest that this is exactly what the lens on a Z-Beam looks like:

Old 01-25-2009, 10:45 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

It's made by Custom Chrome, part # 30121. I got it on ebay from J&J Power Sports. Click here.

Ha, that's the same one I bought last week.

It will be here Wednesday. Glad to know it's a decent light.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:20 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gary,
I really like the look of the lamp you installed, but is there any way to move it back toward the fork tubes? The diameter is perfect for the Dyna it just seems to stick out a little too much for me. Maybe with my mini apes and t-bag it won't be as noticeable.
Did you have to cut and spice the stock wire harness to fit the lamp?
CB

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 01-25-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
Gary,
I really like the look of the lamp you installed, but is there any way to move it back toward the fork tubes? The diameter is perfect for the Dyna it just seems to stick out a little too much for me. Maybe with my mini apes and t-bag it won't be as noticeable.
Did you have to cut and spice the stock wire harness to fit the lamp?
CB
Yes, I cut the original wires on the harness right at the old headlight connector. Then I spliced the wires on the new headlight connector and the harness and used crimp-on plug-in connectors.

The lamp actually sticks out the same amount as it would on the Fat Boy and the other softail models it comes on. It just doesn't appear to stick out as much on those because of the valence panel that attaches to the upper fork tubes and fills in the space behind the headlight.

I actually like the way it sticks out. That was part of the vintage look I was trying to capture. Take a look at any of the early Harleys and you'll note how the big 7" headlight sticks way out. Also, on the early FLs with hydraulic forks, when guys would customize them and pull the fork tube covers off, as well as the valence panel behind the headlight, that is what it left the front end looking like: the headlight stuck out in the wind.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 AM
shawn e.
Road Master

Dang it looks good! This may be my next mod.

Shawn

Quick Reply: Fat Boy headlight on 09 FXDC [pics]