Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lightweight spoke wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
BUSCHA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lightweight spoke wheels

I am considering changing the wheels of my harley (07 wide glide) to save weight but I also like style. Among various options I am considering is going with lightweight spoke wheels. I found some good looking wheels on hdwheels. Do you know about hdwheels? Do you recommend them? They seem to use lightweight components (e.g., aluminum rims: Excel, Apollo, Apollo SL). Do you know how much of a weight advantage I would get with those rims? Do you have any recommendation between these three aluminum rim types?

Also what do you think about radially laced wheels (I really like them!)? Are they strong enough? I guess to make them strong they use many spokes (or big spokes) and so increase weight. Just wanted your thoughts.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:26 PM
dyna mo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

andrei at hdwheels made my wheels for me, apollo sl, s cross lacing.

a lot of money compared to other wheels but the lightweight and high quality were important to me. i shaved over 40 pounds off my scootie with them and w8less rotors.

here's a link to my wheels

http://www.hdwheels.com/images/40-60...us%20Tires.jpg

Last edited by dyna mo; 01-19-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:38 PM
bosken
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 PM
BUSCHA
Tourer

Originally Posted by dyna mo
andrei at hdwheels made my wheels for me, apollo sl, s cross lacing.

a lot of money compared to other wheels but the lightweight and high quality were important to me. i shaved over 40 pounds off my scootie with them and w8less rotors.

here's a link to my wheels

http://www.hdwheels.com/images/40-60...us%20Tires.jpg
Thanks! Great looking wheels. I had an email exchange with Andrei today who told me that if I want to save weight I should look at 60 spoke wheels with cross or s-cross lace (similar to the ones you have). As for the rims he told me that the order from lightest to the heaviest is: Sun, Excell, Apollo, Apollo SL.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:51 PM
dyna mo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

right on! i liked the soft lip of the apollo sl a lot so i went with those, even though they do weigh a bit more than the others.

he also offers the dynabeads and nitrogen fill which i recommend as well.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:35 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 473 Likes on 277 Posts

Been running Excell rims with Buchannan spokes (I have friends who can lace wheels) and Lyndall rotors for a couple of years now on my FXDXT; major handling improvement (along with the Sputhe aluminum swingarm, Sputhe engine mounts and Bridgestone Radials) Put quite a few miles on loaded two-up with no problems and enjoy twisting the wick on the 103 motor as well; no problems.....

Attached Thumbnails lightweight spoke wheels-dual-lyndal-s.jpg  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:18 PM
tweakin
Road Master

Andrei at hdwheels has built two sets of wheels for me, my old nightster is on hdwheels site. I run the Apollo SL rims also and could not be happier, worth the $$.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 PM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Lighter rims or wheels must also equate in better acceleration to some point..used to rebuild my mountain bikes with lighter wheels just for that..less effort to move..even had radial spoked wheels and they were just as strong if not stronger than conventionally laced ones...

Old 01-20-2009, 06:28 AM
BUSCHA
Tourer

Originally Posted by sharkey
Been running Excell rims with Buchannan spokes (I have friends who can lace wheels) and Lyndall rotors for a couple of years now on my FXDXT; major handling improvement (along with the Sputhe aluminum swingarm, Sputhe engine mounts and Bridgestone Radials) Put quite a few miles on loaded two-up with no problems and enjoy twisting the wick on the 103 motor as well; no problems.....
Thanks sharkey and congrats on a great scoot! BTW your bike was what gave me the idea about Excel rims. I am also looking at aluminum swingarms from JMC see here: http://www.swingarm.com/harley_swingarms.aspx. I don't think Sputhe makes them any more. Ah, and Lyndal rotors and pads.

Last edited by BUSCHA; 01-20-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: added text
Old 01-20-2009, 06:40 AM
BUSCHA
Tourer

dyna mo, tweakin-

Did you notice any difference in terms of rideability with the aluminum rims? I have been looking at the physics and maths of reducing unsprung weight and how great this easy for braking/accelerating/cornering etc., but are these differences perceptible in everyday riding? Do you know exact or even approximate weight saving with these rims. E.g., standard 18 5.5 HD wheel: xxx lbs; alluminum Apollo 18x5.5 60 spoke wheel: xxx lbs. I guess I'll also ask Andrei about this.

Sumpnut, thanks for you reply!

Quick Reply: lightweight spoke wheels