Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:07 PM
wbeem
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a Fat Bob

I'm 45, so it must be time for my mid-life crisis. That, and the Road King only has one more payment until it's completely mine. Of course, that means there's excess money in my paycheck that MUST be consumed. I could **** it away on trips to Vegas, or I could get another bike.

Having seen the Fat Bob at a local dealer for the first time last Sunday, I was pretty taken with it (black denim paint). It sparked an idea in my head that I need a bad-*** barhopper (even though I don't run with that circuit) for local riding. I'll keep my Road King for touring and the occasional date when I find a woman brave enough to ride with me.

I figured I'd take the Fat Bob, toss on a Corbin Hollywood Solo, upgrade the engine, pipes, air, etc, and then go out to scare old women and young children.

Of course, I haven't even ridden one of the things yet. That may change my mind, but I'll get that fixed tomorrow.

What I'd like to know is how people who own the bike or have previously considered it think, what experiences you have, what you like & dislike about the bike. My goal is to purchase it once I have a tax refund check in my hand, so it's not like I'm making the decision tomorrow. I'm probably 6-8 weeks out from a purchase.

With my Road King, I tend to miss my old days of storming around on Honda sport bikes. I don't want to go back to leaning over the tank on those things, but I do want a bit more of a sporty ride. I thought about putting on a 103", cams, Thunderheaders & heavy breather to gain some more torque & HP. The guys at one local dealer claim they've experimented quite a bit on their own bikes (Road Glides) and believe they have a winning combination. The dyno chart looked good, anyway.

What about wind drag on this bike when running down the highway? I know it kills some friends on a V-Rod and I can feel it if I take my windshield off. I don't want to put a windshield on the Fat Bob, but I'm wondering how much the wind affects your ride at speed.

Please, I'd love to hear your thoughts, feedback, or whatever else. How would you build a good mid-life crisis bike?

Old 01-17-2009, 03:37 PM
VA Biker
Tourer

Im 38 and I know how you feel. I saw the Fat Bob for the first time the summer of 07 and have wanted one since. I like the Black Denim also but I really liked the red Denim they had last year . Wish they had it this year.

Anyway Im saving up and hope to make a purchase by the end of the summer.

I was ready for this month but I had a chance to refinance the house and I will pay it off in half the time now. It was hard to do but I could pass up the 5% .

Old 01-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

I bought a Fat Bob in November 2007, my first bike in 18 years. I very much like the Vivid Black best, it seems to have the perfect balance of black, blacked out, and chrome.

This is an excellent bike for "sporty" riding (compared to the tourers). It's pretty nimble, t has a great feel on the road. I would recommend the Sreamin' Eagle slip-ons, and I personally don't feel that this bike NEEDS engine work . . . it's powerful and pulls hard stock.

Yes, there's wind at highways speeds that may be too much for you after your other bike. I've never ever had a bike with a windshield or fairing. . . when i have a helmet that fits and doesn't drag, and snap down collars it doesn't bother me; I've gone for three or four days at a time on the road in the past.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:54 PM
chrisg
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought mine about 3 months ago and so far I love it. I don't have anything to compare it to really as I've only ridden a Street bob and a Road King for around 100 miles each. But, for what little I have to compare, I would take the Fat bob any day. I like the more aggressive feel of the drag bars and the over all looks. For me as soon as I seen the Fat bob I had to have it.

I mostly only cruise surface streets on mine so I don't really do too much riding over 55. The wind does start rockin pretty good though at that speed and anything over. For me the perfect speed is around 45 and 50 as far wind tolerance goes. I love the bike, the bigger tires really help it track better and help it soak up some of the bumps too.

If you do get one I think you will be pleased.

Chris

Old 01-17-2009, 04:12 PM
FATBOB67
Road Captain

I love my Fat Bob.............pipes and afew other trinkets is all it needs! You will love it!!

Old 01-17-2009, 04:29 PM
adrock5151
Advanced

I'd highly recommend a Fat Bob. I got mine in January '08 and I ride it all the time. Its not too big and certianly not too small. You can definitely ride two-up no problem. One thing I'd get if I were you are floorboards, those damn pegs are uncomfortable and its great having your feet flat and having the capability of moving your feet in different positions.

Don't mess with the exhaust, it onlt gives bikers a bad name. Neighbors hate the loud noise not to mention there's a law against it, at least here in Calif. I promise you, you'll have just as much fun riding the bike with stock exhaust as with noisy loud pipes.

But you'll have an extra grand in your bank account and your neighbors will like you more. I live off of a busy two lane mtn hwy here in Los Angeles, and on weekends all I hear are literally hundreds of loud noisy exhausts going up and down my street.

Its not the vehicles that disturb my peace & quiet, its the loud pipes that destroy my quality of life. Keep that in mind when you "wanna sound cool."

Old 01-17-2009, 04:36 PM
wbeem
Tourer

Thanks for the feedback so far. Doesn't sound like there are too many disappointed, or so far, anyone who wishes he bought something else. My local dealer offered to take me out for a 10 mile demo ride, so I think I'm going to take him up on the offer and get a feel for the stock bike.

The reason I ask about wind at speed is because I-4 is the major artery where I live in Central Florida, and people definitely run up or above the speed limit on that road. While I'd rather be riding on some back roads, the honest truth is there are probably more times that I'd be heading somewhere on I-4 than getting out to the country-side.

I have a mix of riding and I was curious how people felt about the wind. On another forum, one person told me he didn't think it was much of an issue because (according to him) it feels like you sit in the bike, rather than on it. I guess I'll have to be my own judge.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:08 PM
oldmanbob
Advanced
Default Vivid Black FXDF

I'm 62 just bought mine in Sept. You may think that I am a little to old for a Fatbob, but this thing is hoot. Like said above handle's well, good power and it looks good. Just do it you won't be sorry.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:09 PM
wbeem
Tourer

Thanks, Bob. I don't think you're too old for a Fat Bob or to be riding. I learned a long time ago that you don't stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding.

It is a damn good looking bike.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:18 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll admit I didn't care for the fatbob when it came out, But now I wouldn't mind having one myself. I've seen what can be done with one and they look awesome! Kinda looks like a sportier fatboy.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a Fat Bob