Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle friction adjusting screw

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:12 PM
1NewHDGuy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle friction adjusting screw

I am truly a new guy. Question ~ Tell me about the Throttle friction adjusting screw; what can I do with it?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:32 PM
jsbridgew
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

leave it alone... it's essentially a manual cruise control

IMHO, that's a disaster waiting to happen on a motorcycle

Old 01-17-2009, 02:37 PM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you tighten it right up while riding it can be scary. ( take a guess how I know.)
But you can use it to put 'some' tension on the throttle to take pressure off your wrist. Make sure you release it when entering traffic!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:39 PM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I adjusted mine with the bike off. Open the throttle, tighten the screw enough to hold the grip open, then back the screw out until the throttle snaps back closed. Then I backed it out about another 1/8th turn to be sure. Check the throttle return with the bars straight, full left, and full right. The throttle should snap closed immediately when you let go of the grip. I like this setting because it takes some of the slop out of the grip when riding. Also, with it set this way you can use it as a throttle lock cruise control, but you have to make sure that you can manually close the throttle by rolling the grip forward even when the star screw is tightened down enough to hold the throttle open.

The following users liked this post:
Fatt Tony (02-14-2021)
Old 01-17-2009, 02:50 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master

Well it's fantastic for a glove adjustment, or if your hand goes numb...

Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BluBob
I adjusted mine with the bike off. Open the throttle, tighten the screw enough to hold the grip open, then back the screw out until the throttle snaps back closed. Then I backed it out about another 1/8th turn to be sure. Check the throttle return with the bars straight, full left, and full right. The throttle should snap closed immediately when you let go of the grip. I like this setting because it takes some of the slop out of the grip when riding. Also, with it set this way you can use it as a throttle lock cruise control, but you have to make sure that you can manually close the throttle by rolling the grip forward even when the star screw is tightened down enough to hold the throttle open.
That's a very good way to set it up... then, when your out on the highway... use your thumb to push (rotate) the star forward (tightening the throttle grip) in small encruments, release your grip slightly and tighten as needed.. untile the throttle stays where you want it.

Release your grip completly and you will be cruising at a steady speed.

Then rotate the throttle closed just a little, your bike will slow down, roll on the throttle again, release your grip and you will be crurising again. This will asure you that you still have complete control of your speed.

When you approch your exit ramp use your middle finger (it's the longest one you have) to pull (rotate) the star twords you untile the throttle closes on it's own. This will dis-engage the 'cruise control'.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:31 PM
armybrat02
Tourer

be careful I would rather go with one of the set ups like the kury one that goes on your grip and makes it easier to just use your palm.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:46 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I use it all the time. It is just like anything else, if you are aware of it and your surroundings it won't be a problem. Just apply enough tension (as stated earlier in this post) to hold it not lock it. It's best used on the open road and real handy for giving the hand a rest on long hauls.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Candy Red
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer to have instant thottle contorl, installed a Throttlemiester, and leave that little **** alone

Old 01-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Doughboy
Cruiser

i dont think it was inteded to be a cruise control.i use it to warm the bike up.thats it.

Quick Reply: Throttle friction adjusting screw