Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? on Military Base regs for riding on base

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ? on Military Base regs for riding on base

It's been so long since I've ridden on a Military base, there weren't any specific regs at the time. I pick up meds from the OFFUTT AFB pharmacy and go there for other reasons also and would like to ride the Bob up there. Just wondering what the requirements are for riding on base.

Going out of state this am but will catch response(s) when I return.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:38 AM
usafa83
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure the first time you pull up to the gate they will tell you, ha.

Been a while for me too, but the last time I rode on base the most distinctive parts were you had to have a helmet (regardless of state's rules) and you had to have an orange vest one...that was the Air Force, so don't know what the rest of the world is doing.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:40 AM
greenstreetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On Air Force bases, you must have proper eye protection and a helmet. Most require a reflective vest. Some may still be allowing just brightly colored upper garmets. Long sleeves are also required. I found below from Offutt's website:

Q: Motorcycle season is upon us once again, and with it brings more complaints about safety gear for motorcycle riders. Or maybe, the regulations were gotten rid of over the winter, and we motorcyclists don't have to wear any of that stuff?
Just today, coming in the gate after lunch, a far too common occurrence was observed. I was on my motorcycle, wearing all of the required by regulation helmets, gloves, high visibility vests and everything else I'm supposed to wear to be able to ride my motorcycle on Offutt. Pulling up to the gate, I saw another rider in the lane next to me also pull up. This person was not wearing the required safety gear. I mentioned this fact to the gate guard as she was checking my ID. I was told that I was correct, the other rider sis not have the required safety gear on. But, as happens far too many times, this rider was allowed to enter Offutt on his motorcycle, not wearing the required safety gear.
This particular person just happens to work in the same building as I do, this is not the first he has gotten on base not wearing the proper safety gear.

A: Our security forces make every effort to enforce current guidance published in AFI 91-207, USAF Safety Program, as it pertains to motorcycle protective gear. As the weather has improved and we are seeing more motorcycles on the road, we have provided further guidance on the policy and refresher training to our guards. To help clarify our motorcycle safety enforcement, I have published a policy memorandum to ensure our practices are in accordance with the AF Instruction. My policy is motorcycle riders will wear a brightly colored outer garment that covers two-thirds of the upper body during the day and a reflective upper garment during the night. Examples of bright colors are bright red, orange, lime green, yellow, bright blue, white, pink, etc. Dark colors, such as black, non-reflective silver, gray, brown, dark blue, dark green and dark red are NOT authorized. The outer upper garment shall be visible and no portion may be covered (backpack cannot obstruct garment visibility, etc.) Foot protection however must be sturdy over the ankle footwear that provides protection for the feet and ankles. Sandals, low quarters, sneakers and similar footwear will not be used. Thank you for your concern; it will help to focus our attention on motorcycle safety.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

DOT helmet, eye protection (windshield does not count), reflective vest, over the ankle boots, long sleeve shirt or jacket, and gloves. If you don't live or work on the post and not in the military you don't have to take the safety course. If you wear a backpack you have have reflective item on the back of it too. I would just call the post/base safety office and ask to make sure. pants not shorts

Last edited by tlb; 01-17-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 AM
cramil
Tourer

Definitely need the DOT helmet, long pants, long sleeves (long sleeve t-shirt is ok amazingly), gloves, eyepro/face shield, over the ankle boots, and a specified # of square inches of reflective material (usually just a reflective belt is ok, but I wear an Icon MIL-SPEC vest on post). Also if you will be going regularly check to see if you need to get your bike registered as then you need the usual license, registration, insurance and also an MSF rider course card. There may be specific requirements that Offutt requres, I would stop at the gate and ask if they have a reference that indicates what these are.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, thanks a lot for the responses. Very helpful and I believe I can handle the requirements. I'm retired military and have had the MSF course 3 years or so ago, if that will be necessary. Appreciate the info, requirements don't sound too bad at all.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 AM
LV_EOD
Advanced

At Nellis, retired, active or civilian, helmet, gloves, etc as described above are required. Active duty folks are required to have a sticker or something from the safety office for proof of attending a safety class. I did the Riders Edge bit last year and wandered around base for about an hour, finally found the Wing Safety Office, only to be told retirees just need to be geared up, not registered.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Every base, post, and military installation will have it's own regulation. There really isn't a standard. What people stated above will get you close. I know on a Marine base they required a set square inches of reflective material to be warn where the Air Force Base just down the road would allow a reflective belt. Best to call the safety of vehicle registation office.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Gearhead383
Intermediate

To ride on Offutt, all you need is the following:
1. DOT helmet
2. eye protection (windshield doesn't count)
3. gloves
4. long sleeve shirt or outer garment.
Note: long sleeved shirt or garment must be of contrasting colors (bright colors). Reflective gear is only required after dark or if colors are not contrasting enough. Gate guard decides.
5. long paints. (no shorts)
6. over the ankle boots or shoes.
7. active duty requires safety course. Retirees and contractors are exempt.

I think that’s everything… at least it was for the 08’ season.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 AM
2XNightTrain
Road Master

At Hurlburt and Eglin you must have the following:

1) attended and passed MSF course
2) helmet
3) gloves -full fingers
4) shirt with sleeves unless you have a riding jacket
5) pants
6) shoes that cover the ankles
7) reflective vest day or night
8) if you have a backpack on it must also have a reflective vest or flightline belt around it

There ya go. Commanders are getting real **** about this stuff. While it isn't limited to just AF, you have lots of young guys coming back from the wars in the Mid East with pocketfulls of money and nowhere to spend it until they see a bike shop. Then they buy(cash in many instances and what dealer doesn't want the cash) the fasteset one that they can afford and ride off on it. This is true around bases where there are lots of tech schools as well (NAS Pensacola, Lackland, Sheppard et al). A DOD study also has concluded that there are certain percentages of folks looking for that adrenaline rush that combat gave them and are replacing it with the adrenaline rush that a Hayabusa or other style crotchrocket can give. Since commanders can't really BAN the purchase of bikes, he can make it HARD to comply with getting everything done that makes it legal to ride on his/her base. Get caught riding illegally? Kiss your career and MONEY goodbye.

Last edited by 2XNightTrain; 01-18-2009 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: ? on Military Base regs for riding on base