Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? on Military Base regs for riding on base

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:43 AM
MLWilson
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fort Riley KS. standards below:
1. Passed MSF course
2. Helmet - DOT must be visable on helmet, eye protection
3. Gloves -full fingers
4. Long sleeve shirt or riding jacket
5. Pants no shorts
6. Shoes that cover the ankles
7. Reflective vest day or night
8. Will be required to attend MSF if you want to register bike on post, this is for active, retired and contractor
9. Must carry MSF Card, POI, and registration at all times.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 AM
Mars
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That MSF course is now a bigger PITA than anything else. They have different levels, different classes for race bikes, and the waiting list is long. For govt employees the rules are the same as for active duty. For retired all you need is the old stuff as described in this thread.\

Check this out: I wonder how a MSF instructor would react when you show up on this:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/997548644.html

Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM
A-10 KChawg
Tourer

I keep a reflective belt (1 of 10,000) in my saddle bag to throw on when I go through the gate @ Whiteman rather than the vest. Anyone in the Airforce should have a couple reflective belts laying around............rediculous! Also, If any military guys prefer a vest, they can usually get them for free at the base safety office.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM
rayfinseats
Road Captain

And don't wear a towel around your head, even if your hair is wet. You'll probably need a little AFB sticker.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:33 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by greenstreetbob
On Air Force bases, you must have proper eye protection and a helmet. Most require a reflective vest. Some may still be allowing just brightly colored upper garmets. Long sleeves are also required. I found below from Offutt's website:

Q: Motorcycle season is upon us once again, and with it brings more complaints about safety gear for motorcycle riders. Or maybe, the regulations were gotten rid of over the winter, and we motorcyclists don't have to wear any of that stuff?
Just today, coming in the gate after lunch, a far too common occurrence was observed. I was on my motorcycle, wearing all of the required by regulation helmets, gloves, high visibility vests and everything else I'm supposed to wear to be able to ride my motorcycle on Offutt. Pulling up to the gate, I saw another rider in the lane next to me also pull up. This person was not wearing the required safety gear. I mentioned this fact to the gate guard as she was checking my ID. I was told that I was correct, the other rider sis not have the required safety gear on. But, as happens far too many times, this rider was allowed to enter Offutt on his motorcycle, not wearing the required safety gear.
This particular person just happens to work in the same building as I do, this is not the first he has gotten on base not wearing the proper safety gear.

A: Our security forces make every effort to enforce current guidance published in AFI 91-207, USAF Safety Program, as it pertains to motorcycle protective gear. As the weather has improved and we are seeing more motorcycles on the road, we have provided further guidance on the policy and refresher training to our guards. To help clarify our motorcycle safety enforcement, I have published a policy memorandum to ensure our practices are in accordance with the AF Instruction. My policy is motorcycle riders will wear a brightly colored outer garment that covers two-thirds of the upper body during the day and a reflective upper garment during the night. Examples of bright colors are bright red, orange, lime green, yellow, bright blue, white, pink, etc. Dark colors, such as black, non-reflective silver, gray, brown, dark blue, dark green and dark red are NOT authorized. The outer upper garment shall be visible and no portion may be covered (backpack cannot obstruct garment visibility, etc.) Foot protection however must be sturdy over the ankle footwear that provides protection for the feet and ankles. Sandals, low quarters, sneakers and similar footwear will not be used. Thank you for your concern; it will help to focus our attention on motorcycle safety.
What a crock of horse ****. Even if I was dressed properly the sissy bar would block the view of my bright clothes or reflective vest I can see helmets,eye protection, heavy clothes for road rash prevention They can't give our troops proper body armor or protected vehicles when they are getting shot at but leathers are a no no cause the aren't visible enough? Someone needs to get a grip here.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:11 PM
das56170
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Marine bases are pretty strict about the regulations. I remember when Icon first came out with their reflective vest. It looked a lot better than that what you could buy at the PX. (those ones made you look like you were working construction, and they would flap around when you hit the highway). Some of the "safety" officials were bitching cause the reflective stripes on the Icon vest were't wide enough. Talk about ****.

Every time there was a wreck involving a Marine, they would crack down on all the regs. I've had to go through 3 or 4 safety courses. I took one before I enlisted. Once I got to Camp Pendleton, they made me take another one. Then a couple years later they made me take the advanced rider course. Every time they ask me for my safey card at the gate, I can pick out 4 and tell them to pick one. Now they're even making a seperate course specifically for sport bikes (since thats what most of the young inexperienced bikers are riding)

Old 01-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

And all those safety courses will not stop someone from being stupid. Hell I had to take two MSF courses in a year. Here in Germany you have to have a MSF card that is no older then 6 months. And if you need to get the card you need to trailer your bike or give someone a POA to get a temp registration and ride it to the course. A seems like a certain USAEUR Commanding General did everything he could to keep people from riding. Seems that the pilot who flew the VIP helicopter crashed and died. All teh safety courses and PPE in the world would not have saved him. He was doing an estimated 150mph in a 45mph zone.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:12 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the Navy instruction:

OPNAVINST 5100.12H

it covers everything from skateboards to golfcarts.

The only "optional" piece of safety gear is a brighlty colored long sleeve shirt during daylight hours.