Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 PM
bugzapper
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide Glide Vibration

Awhile back I read some posts concerning vibration due to faulty motor mounts. The other day I went for a ride and the temperatures were in the mid 40's. I noticed more than normal vibration at idle and operating speeds than normal. Would the vibration of faulty motor mounts be intensified due to colder weather? Or could it be that I noticed the vibration more because I was colder than normal? I had looked at the lower mount after reading the previous post and didn't see anything unusual.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Romark
Road Master

Originally Posted by bugzapper
Awhile back I read some posts concerning vibration due to faulty motor mounts. The other day I went for a ride and the temperatures were in the mid 40's. I noticed more than normal vibration at idle and operating speeds than normal. Would the vibration of faulty motor mounts be intensified due to colder weather? Or could it be that I noticed the vibration more because I was colder than normal? I had looked at the lower mount after reading the previous post and didn't see anything unusual.
My Wide Glide only does that when the engine is running. With the engine off it is smoth as glass.

Sorry. I couldn't resist. I'm sure you need to hear from another smart ***.

Seriously. I don't notice any difference in mine when the temperature is cold. Then again, I don't ride much when it is cold.

Mark

Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

They all shake like crazy, that's how you know it's a Dyna.

What years are the faulty motor mounts supposed to be on??

Old 01-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

You noticed it more because you were shivering...

Old 01-15-2009, 10:35 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Just a thought. If you're noticing the vibration at the grips it could be the rubber bushings for the bars are harder due to the colder temperature, that would transmit more vibration than you normally feel.

I put the polyurethane bushings in mine, which definitely increased the vibration at the grips.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 PM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a wicked vibration after my last cross country trip. It drove me crazy as I was throtteling down the road and feeling around to see where it was coming from.
It turned out to be the plate that holds the horn where it attaches to the motor.

Point is....could be anything. Check all bolts.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:25 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Take a look at your front motor mount. You should be able to see a gap between the rubber and the engine. I know right now my engine is resting on the rubber part of the mount. Once it warms up and the salt os off the roads I will be taking it in to have them check it.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:34 AM
04fxdwgi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
You noticed it more because you were shivering...
Baseman, see you changed bars on your WG also. Glad I'm not the only one that opted out of the "MiniApes".

Attached Thumbnails Wide Glide Vibration-bike-5a-new-right-ctr.jpg  
Old 01-16-2009, 04:47 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been a lot of issues on the newer Dynas with the front isolators. Here is a great thread showing there were not only issues with them separating, but that there were also prroblems with they way many of them were made.

This may give you a visual of something to look for which could be a source of your vibration:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ixed-pics.html

Old 01-16-2009, 07:33 AM
bugzapper
Novice

Thanks guys. Sounds like me, a tool bag and flashlight have a date in the garage on Saturday while the temp is 14 outside. Get ready..........riding time is just around the corner.

Quick Reply: Wide Glide Vibration