Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bailing the dash on a steetbob

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:01 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, ive had it apart and know whats under it - i like the look of the tank without anything - but how to 'cover up the guts' and also keep speedo someplace, thought about lower right attached to rocker box, think my leg would get in way.....

Originally Posted by kk6pg
Something to think about...
Console and tank top from a FXD. weld the speedo cup in the SG top and set the speedo in the fuel cap trim ring. You can either keep the SG fuel gauge, or install an ignition switch in there.

That will lower the profile of the tank considerably.
this is kinda what i was thinkin of doing with mine - bailing the dash and fabbing a cover for the tank and somehow setting the speedo into it

maybe the fxd would work.....good ideas! thanks guys, any others throw em up here thanks!

Old 01-16-2009, 03:52 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmopar

any others throw em up here thanks!
toss the tank lift.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey - here's a crazy idea:

Adapt a Rocker dash to a Dyna.

I've been mulling over how that might work. A lot of massaging the shape to fit the shorter rounder Dyna tank, but I think they look pretty cool.

R/
Priest

Old 01-16-2009, 04:18 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

making a fiberglass cover for just the portion of the dash that has all the metal should not be that hard of a job, take a few shots to get right but i think it is def possible! you can make it any way you want that way, and can stash your speedo in there as well, or tach... i work with fiberglass alot, i think that would be do able

Old 01-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Grind
Road Master

making a fiberglass cover...
I was thinking about that, too. I've seen subwoofers mounted in a 'glass enclosure, by molding the 'glass over a bucket or similar sized round object. I can't find a 'how-to', but I've seen one somewhere. Basically, drape the mat over the buck, pull out the wrinkles and add the resin. Cut the hole and bottom to final size when it's cured.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:38 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain

spoke to my bro yesterday and he said I should scrap all of it and just use a gps speed setting in place of speedo altogether - anybody using one for this purpose - any idea of accuracy?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:58 PM
JRK5892
Banned

ya, and it works... we are going to CNC a bar clamp, something that i can powder and match to the paint, that is how we are running the speedo set up on this, you can hard line and tap it to a power source, super easy! and they are DEAD ON!!!
Grind if you want any fiberglass help man i make alot in fiber glass... cafe seats, fairings, sub enclosures, seat pans... tons... i can walk you though it, if you screw up you just sand more... it is easy to do just messy as hell!!! blackmopar let me know what style GPS you are using, if it is the same when we make it i can look into just machining 2 of them

Old 01-21-2009, 10:46 AM
blackmopar
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JRK5892
ya, and it works... we are going to CNC a bar clamp, something that i can powder and match to the paint, that is how we are running the speedo set up on this, you can hard line and tap it to a power source, super easy! and they are DEAD ON!!!
....blackmopar let me know what style GPS you are using, if it is the same when we make it i can look into just machining 2 of them
right on man, appreciate it - i run a computer warehouse but im dumb as dirt with technology - should be bike parts or dog food my OL says, least then Id get it - haha - what kinda GPS do you have?
I like this idea more and more - pop it off throw it in yer pocket or whatever

Old 01-21-2009, 10:50 AM
JRK5892
Banned

i think on his we are going to use a tom tom XL... he has 2 and is not sure if he wants to use the smaller one or the bigger one... we are going to get cracking on it the start of next month... PM me the middle of next month and i should have some pics for you

Old 01-21-2009, 11:14 AM
roofer
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like what you guys have done with the idiot lights, I have an 03 lowrider do you know if a 05 and later lowrider dash will fit my tank I want to do what priest did with his idiot lights but I don't have the room between the speedo and tach