Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front wheel removal

Okay, I know this is fairly easy, especially compared to the rear wheel, which I have done before. But I want to make sure I don't miss something to remove the front wheel. I need to remove the axle nut, the axle clamp, then the axle, and then the wheel should slide right off right? Do I really need to touch the brake caliper other than to just make sure I don't squeeze the front brake while the wheel is off?

And while I am asking, does anyone have the torque specs for the front and rear axle nuts and lower shock bolts?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Marksman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 99 I have to remove the fender bolts to get the tire by. I think I just need to remove the bolts from one side, but I usually take off the fender, clean it inside and out.
I can't remember if the caliper "has to" come off or not, but I always have. Same reason cleanup and inspection. It's just two bolts.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:36 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc
Okay, I know this is fairly easy, especially compared to the rear wheel, which I have done before. But I want to make sure I don't miss something to remove the front wheel. I need to remove the axle nut, the axle clamp, then the axle, and then the wheel should slide right off right? Do I really need to touch the brake caliper other than to just make sure I don't squeeze the front brake while the wheel is off?

And while I am asking, does anyone have the torque specs for the front and rear axle nuts and lower shock bolts?
Removal of the front wheel is pretty much as you have described above. Keep in mind the allen head bolts of the axle clamp are metric. Sorry, I don't remember the size.

Front Axle 50-55 ft/lbs
Rear Axle 60-65ft/lbs
Lower Shock Mounting Bolts 30-40ft/lbs

Again, I don't remember the wrench sizes for the axle nuts.

No need to remove the caliper.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:41 AM
04fxdwgi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will slide right out, but a royal pain putting back on w/ caliper in place and not damaging pads. Easier to pull caliper off and block pads w/ a piece of wood or similar.

This ia all 04 specs out of manual , yours may differ
WG Axle cap bolts 60-132 inch #
Dyna pinch bolt 25 - 30 Ft #
Front Caliper bolts 28 - 38 Ft #
Front axle 50 - 55 Ft #
Rear Axle 60 - 65 Ft #
Upper / Lower shock bolts 25 - 40 Ft #

Old 01-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Pay attention to the spacers as they're different widths. Be patient pushing the axle through. It can be a pain in the a$$.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll be replacing the spacers with chromer tapered ones but I guess I still need to know which size came out of which side. Is it difficult to get the axle out as the rear one was for me or do you mean be careful putting it back in? I got the rear one back in a whole lot easier due to slathering it with anti-sieze.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

Is it difficult to get the axle out as the rear one was for me or do you mean be careful putting it back in?
The axle will slide right out when the bolts are loosened. I found the rear easier to reinstall than the front. If you can widen the brake pads a bit to provide a little more play, it will help with wiggling the axle back into place. If not, a second set of hands helps.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Front Wheel Removal

The front axle pinch bolts are 10mm. I did NOT remove the caliper when I pulled the front wheel and had no problems at all. Same with the fender.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

I didn't remove the caliper or fender either. Pull the axle and the wheel will drop downward with the rotor sliding out of the caliper. It slid back into the caliper too. But it seems to always be a pain to align properly to get the axle to push through the right side (facing the forks).

Old 01-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Bluesrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is how I did it and everything worked out great and we have the same bike.

Quick Reply: Front wheel removal