Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 AM
04fxdwgi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by divebum33
Forgive me if this has already been posted. I searched and didn't see anything.

I'm planning a long ride this summer...we're going to ride the entire coat of Florida. It's going to be hot and humid so I want to make sure my bike is suited for it. Is an oil cooler all that great? Will it really add years to the life of your engine? If so, which one is better? The HD or Jagg?

Thanks
Here's my Jagg's w/ thermostat controlled, waterproof fans

Attached Thumbnails Oil Cooler-oilcooler-a.jpg  
Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are good anytime.i have had one on every harley i have owned. and that is five of them and never no problem.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Centerline
Somebody say oil cooler?
Yes I am a big proponent, here is Harley's take on the oil cooler.....
Centerline did you get that cooler powder coated?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ged533
mopar dave looks like a moroso trans cooler.had the same thought but installed a jagg kit.please post temp results after install curious.i have never overheated with the jagg kit,stop & go 95 + outside temp.run synthetics also.good luck on your install
That is exactly what it is, though not a Moroso....they probably stole the design from Moroso.
When I get it installed I will give an update on it. I don't currently have a temp gauge on the bike but I can do a fifteen minute idle hooked to the lap top before adding the cooler and look at the temp that way. After the install, I will do the same thing and that should give me a good idea of the temp difference. An interesting thing about the so-called "heat sink" design is that they dissipate heat regardless of air flow. In other words, without a fan, the typical radiator oil cooler does not do too much when sitting in traffic.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by domenicp7
Centerline did you get that cooler powder coated?
Domenicp, no this is the way it came. It does have a heavy decorative chromed cover with a bar and shield logo cutout that I obviously did not put on. The HD unit is thermostat equipped.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:34 PM
luckyB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 04fxdwgi
Here's my Jagg's w/ thermostat controlled, waterproof fans
Never seen fans before... I assume that's a custom mod? Where'd you get the fans?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:45 PM
04fxdwgi
Cruiser

Originally Posted by luckyB
Never seen fans before... I assume that's a custom mod? Where'd you get the fans?
Ordered 60mm (80's were too big, but should have ordered 70's) waterproof fans online. http://www.orionfans.com/. They were $35.00 each. A little expensive, but will run underwater. The cooler adapter t-stat opens at 175 and full open at 185. I also added a T-stat control for the fans (like you use on a cage), putting the sensor on the discharge oil line from the cooler and set the stat for 210 deg to start the fans if sitting in traffic. Still need to add finger guards to the fans.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:50 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,530 Posts

I've got in line coolers on the left down tube of both bikes. One bike has the auto thermostat adapter on it. Not a big fan of the coolers hanging behind the front wheel to collect road debris. It will assist in in preserving the oil's life by bringing down the temps. The fans on the cooler is quite unique. Even when the bike is sitting still it is still removing heat from the oil thru convection/ radiation, like the old steam radiator heaters used to.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:54 PM
2002fxdp
Road Captain

any with the Jagg themostat filter adapter......is it really black as it appears in the pics on the website?
thanks

Old 01-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mopardave
That is exactly what it is, though not a Moroso....they probably stole the design from Moroso.
When I get it installed I will give an update on it. I don't currently have a temp gauge on the bike but I can do a fifteen minute idle hooked to the lap top before adding the cooler and look at the temp that way. After the install, I will do the same thing and that should give me a good idea of the temp difference. An interesting thing about the so-called "heat sink" design is that they dissipate heat regardless of air flow. In other words, without a fan, the typical radiator oil cooler does not do too much when sitting in traffic.
So how does this "heat sink" remove heat differently that a radiator? Not trying to be sarcastic here buy don't they both "radiate" heat? And both "radiate" more heat with airflow?

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler