Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Indicators Accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Indicators Accuracy

I tried a search on this and didn’t find anything….. I am wondering what you guys find with your fuel gauges, fuel lights, or the digital range indicator as far as accuracy? I’ve only run like 3 or 4 tanks of gas through my new ’09 Street Bob. I didn’t have that range indicator or fuel gauge on my Nightster – it just had the fuel light.

If I’m not mistaken the range indicator went down to zero on one tank and when I filled it up it only took like 3 gallons. It must have had like 1.8 gallons left. I was almost in a panic thinking I had run it completely out of fuel.

Last weekend I filled up with about 127 miles on a tank. The light had just come on and the range indicator said I had 25 miles left. It took 3.4 gallons. That works out to me getting 37 miles per gallon (which I think is pretty good). What I don’t get is why with 1.4 gallons left the computer is telling me 25 more miles and the fuel light is coming on? I know we’re not talking about a huge variance here, but if I’m getting 37mpg then I actually had over 50 miles of range left. I wonder how the range indicator calculates those miles left?

Maybe I’m hoping for too much out of that range indicator? I guess I should just start taking note of how many miles I get to a tank and go by that instead? It seemed like my fuel light was pretty accurate on my Nightster. I could count on it coming on at just about 1.3 gallons left and at approx. 80 miles…..not sure what it was supposed to come on at. The new bike seems to be unpredictably off.

I’d just like to get the most out of that nice new larger tank size.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The range indicator must be new for 09 but the one in my truck is always short. The fuel light comes on with my SG at .9 gallons and seems to be pretty consistent. If I just go by the fuel gauge and fill when it gets close to empty I usually only put about 3 1/2 gallons in as well. I added a LED fuel gauge and the fuel light comes on shortly after the LED gauge gets down to one LED.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:15 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They try to idiot proof those things so there's always some left when it says 0. I've had a couple of trucks with those in them and have found myself sweating, looking for an open gas station with 0 miles showing on the range setting. Even after driving a few miles to find the gas, I have never quite gotten a full tank. It's always short by part of a gallon. Good thing for me I guess. I don't have that on my bike either but I can tell you my low fuel light was way off when I first got it. Installing Jackyl's tanklift actually made mine more accurate. But I still go by my odometer to tell me when it's time for more fuel - not the gauge.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:36 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I did a check on my Flush LED gauge shortly after getting the bike. I overfilled the tank, then got on the highway for a steady 60-65 mph ride. If you're not familiar with the LED gauges, a full tank registers all 7 LED's lit. My 1st LED dropped out at 30 miles on the odometer, 2nd one out at 45 miles, 3rd went out at 75, 4th out at 110, 5th went out at 165. As I was nearing home, I decided to fill it back up. I was showing 205 on the odo, and still had 2 LED's lit...low fuel lite on speedo was not yet on. Later observations show that the low fuel lite comes on within just a few miles of the 2nd-to-last LED going out. Not very linear, but I have yet to find any bike or car gauge that is. I think ALL fuel gauges should be printed with the caveat, "For indication only". My $0.02.

Last edited by PKellyMc; 01-12-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: typo