Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The best octane booster available

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:04 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40,145 Likes on 13,545 Posts
Question The best octane booster available

I have never used this stuff before but while riding in TN. last summer I bought a coulple of tanks of gas that caused occasional light pinging.I've never had the problem locally.Ihis summer when I travel I'm going to carry some.SO,which brand is the best?....... FYI,my bike runs great and does not run hot and I am running Xieds and only pinged last year(very lightly) while on a trip in TN. so I must have bought bad gas then.The gas here in southern OH. has never caused a problem.And again the bike runs great I'm editing this post because all I'm asking for is advice on a good brand of octane booster.

Last edited by RAWHIDE07; 01-10-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Kaycee
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What grade of fuel do u use ? I along with my buddies all run super unlead.I would try a can of BG44K and run through your tank,it is expensive but can't be beat this will clean up your carbon and crap that is caused by running cheap crappy gas.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:59 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

No,I don't currently have a problem,it's just that one time last summer I got some sub par fuel while out of state and yes it was name brand premium which is what I always use in my bike.I just want to carry a can of octane booster in case it happens again.There have been several posts from different parts of the country indicating that it is not that uncommon to find the premium gas is not really premium.Be prepared is my motto.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:23 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Gas

Most of the gas sold in the state of TN is 10% ethanol. Very few places sell 100% gas. If the state your from sells pure gas, that maybe where the pinging comes from. It's either that or bad gas, maybe contaminated with water.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:12 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

The newer FI Dynas run pretty lean from the factory. There have been many people complain about their Dyna's pinging. Running a little richer usually takes care of that. You can do that with many different tuners. There are also "plug-ins" that fool the FI system into injecting just a bit more fuel to run richer.

That would be the way to go, instead of carrying octane booster with you wherever you go. Just my opinion.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:31 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

I'll try to answer your question. I have used a few and it seems that even the cheap ones for $2.50 a can work to eliminate the pinging. I wouldn't know how to tell which was better because all I have tried seem to work.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
The newer FI Dynas run pretty lean from the factory. There have been many people complain about their Dyna's pinging. Running a little richer usually takes care of that. You can do that with many different tuners. There are also "plug-ins" that fool the FI system into injecting just a bit more fuel to run richer.

That would be the way to go, instead of carrying octane booster with you wherever you go. Just my opinion.
Best advice, yet....If there is a problem fix it. Don't try to put a band-aid on it with some magic in a can.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:56 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Best advice, yet....If there is a problem fix it. Don't try to put a band-aid on it with some magic in a can.
I have edited my original post for clarification,the bike doesn't have a problem,sooner or later you will pick up a bad tank of gas(octane wise)and will find it would be better to add some booster than drain it out and go looking for better gas especially when traveling.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The OP stated he is running XiED's, so the pinging is not caused by being too lean. That leaves bad gas or too much timing advance. Most octane boosters are a waste of time and money. It's not that they don't work, but that they don't do enough. When they advertise as raising octane 3 points it means (for example) it will raise 89 octane fuel to 89.3... not 92.

The only thing I've found that works is Torco Accellerator or homebrew octane boost. Torco works, but it's not a long term solution. Regular use will leave leave rust colored deposits on your plugs and pistons, which over time, will lower your spark intensity and raise your compression. Homebrew booster (1 gal. Toluene + 1 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil) is effective but not very practical to carry with you. Use Torco as directed on the can; homebrew can be safely used in concentrations up to 30% (e.g., up to 1.5 gals in a 5 gal. tank), w/o fear of damaging seals, hoses, etc.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:19 PM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mr. Lucky, this is the first I've heard of the Torco Accellerator, I'll have to try it out. I know it's a sales pitch, but it sounds like a good product.

What kind of octane boost can be expected from the home brew?

Quick Reply: The best octane booster available