Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The best octane booster available

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:40 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40,131 Likes on 13,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky
The OP stated he is running XiED's, so the pinging is not caused by being too lean. That leaves bad gas or too much timing advance. Most octane boosters are a waste of time and money. It's not that they don't work, but that they don't do enough. When they advertise as raising octane 3 points it means (for example) it will raise 89 octane fuel to 89.3... not 92.

The only thing I've found that works is Torco Accellerator or homebrew octane boost. Torco works, but it's not a long term solution. Regular use will leave leave rust colored deposits on your plugs and pistons, which over time, will lower your spark intensity and raise your compression. Homebrew booster (1 gal. Toluene + 1 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil) is effective but not very practical to carry with you. Use Torco as directed on the can; homebrew can be safely used in concentrations up to 30% (e.g., up to 1.5 gals in a 5 gal. tank), w/o fear of damaging seals, hoses, etc.
Very good info,I'm only looking for a quick fix in the event that it happens again,not a long term solution,so where can I buy the torco?(is it available at auto stores?)

Old 01-10-2009, 02:51 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky
The OP stated he is running XiED's, so the pinging is not caused by being too lean. .......
He edited after I posted

Most any small airport will have aviation gas. It has an octane rating of around 105-110. A shot of that will raise your overall octane.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:27 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RAWHIDE07
I have edited my original post for clarification,the bike doesn't have a problem,sooner or later you will pick up a bad tank of gas(octane wise)and will find it would be better to add some booster than drain it out and go looking for better gas especially when traveling.
I think you are worrying too much. I have traveled all over the east coast by motorcycle and never had a tank of "bad" gas that caused pinging. Heck this fall, we traveled thru the Carolinas and had no choice but to run 87, because of a gas shortage. Nobody in my group had an trouble.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:51 PM
dyna mo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

from what i understand, if you have fi, make sure you get an unleaded booster, the leaded versions (the best boosters) coat the fi sensors leading to issues.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like ETHAMAX

Old 01-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanw
Mr. Lucky, this is the first I've heard of the Torco Accellerator, I'll have to try it out. I know it's a sales pitch, but it sounds like a good product.

What kind of octane boost can be expected from the home brew?
If you can't find a Torco dealer, let me know. I can hook you up with a guy out here (not me).

Re the homebrew...
Toluene has an (R+M)/2 octane rating of 114. This is the same rating applied to pump gas. So, 1 gallon of the homebrew mixed with 4 gals of premium will net you a tankful of 95.6 octane. This is based on 91 octane premium, which is all that is available here, except for the occasional place that pumps 100 octane unleaded race fuel. I think where you are in FL, you can get 93 octane Sunoco? If so, the same 4-1 mix would net you 97.2 octane. You can buy toluene at chemical supply houses (the least expensive source) or paint stores. For the few times I've needed it, I just go to the local Sherwin Williams.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
He Most any small airport will have aviation gas. It has an octane rating of around 105-110. A shot of that will raise your overall octane.
Yes, but aviation fuel is leaded. It will damage your O2 sensors.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:31 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Try teh STP booster, any autozone has it. Ya might want ta think about down shifting and running higher RPM in that situation til you get a new tank of gas.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:00 PM
pennetta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
He edited after I posted

Most any small airport will have aviation gas. It has an octane rating of around 105-110. A shot of that will raise your overall octane.
Is this typically leaded or unleaded and is it okay to run in cars and motorcycles?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:04 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes much lead and no not good to run in cars or FI bikes. not good for the 02 sensors.

Originally Posted by pennetta
Is this typically leaded or unleaded and is it okay to run in cars and motorcycles?

Quick Reply: The best octane booster available