Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporty rider trading up, seek advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Handycam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporty rider trading up, seek advice

Hi all. I am a regular on the Sportster forum, but new here. I bought an 883Low last year, and I love it. Toward the end of the season,I started to feel it was a bit underpowered, and was thinking about eventually trading up. Now that HD has this trade-up incentive offer, I might take them up on it.

In looking at bikes on the road last year, and on the web, I know I want a Dyna. I really like the look of the Street Bob, or if not a Low Rider.

I fit the 883 Low pretty well, although my legs were getting cramped when riding. I also got a Mustang Solo seat as the stock on was too low and sat me too far back. I guess I have shorter arms, since I don't like to reach too far forward. I am 5' 10" and 230 lbs. I do mostly back road riding (paved roads, 2-lane blacktop) and some freeway riding here in the Northeast.

Can you Dyna owners offer me any advice on choosing which bike would be the best to trade up to?

Thanks.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I traded my 07 Sportster two weeks ago for a 09 FXDC Super Glide Custom. The std FXD Super Glide is probably going to be the closest to being "like" your Sportster from the standpoint of the controls, instruments, and seating position.

Sounds like your riding style is very similar to mine. I mainly cruise the back roads, but I do get on the Instersate frequently to get up into the mountains where some of my favortie back roads are. That 60 mile jaunt on the Interstate is where I always found myself wanting a bigger, more comfortable bike. Now I have it. The Super Glide just eats up the miles on the Interstate, and is just as much fun on the back roads as my Sporty was.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Gearhead383
Intermediate

I think it depends on what you like. Do you plan on riding solo or with someone on the back? And, do like chrome or black? Look as the differences offered in the Dyna series, both price and options, and see which one best suits you for now. If you requirement changes down the road, no big deal, buy the goodies you want/need and make it work!

Old 01-08-2009, 02:50 PM
robertj74
Tourer

Originally Posted by Handycam
Hi all. I am a regular on the Sportster forum, but new here. I bought an 883Low last year, and I love it. Toward the end of the season,I started to feel it was a bit underpowered, and was thinking about eventually trading up. Now that HD has this trade-up incentive offer, I might take them up on it.

In looking at bikes on the road last year, and on the web, I know I want a Dyna. I really like the look of the Street Bob, or if not a Low Rider.

I fit the 883 Low pretty well, although my legs were getting cramped when riding. I also got a Mustang Solo seat as the stock on was too low and sat me too far back. I guess I have shorter arms, since I don't like to reach too far forward. I am 5' 10" and 230 lbs. I do mostly back road riding (paved roads, 2-lane blacktop) and some freeway riding here in the Northeast.

Can you Dyna owners offer me any advice on choosing which bike would be the best to trade up to?

Thanks.
I am almost exactly your size and bought a Superglide Custom,It seems to fit me very well,I did add a H-D pillow look seat and it sat me up and back a little I have a 32in inseam,and with my feet on mid-pegs,my knees were up a little too high with the stock seat,and the pillow seat is much better for my wife.I feel good on the mids now,and when i get my feet on the highway pegs it is very comfy.I can flat foot the back when i come to a stop with no problem.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Handycam
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gary7
I traded my 07 Sportster two weeks ago for a 09 FXDC Super Glide Custom. The std FXD Super Glide is probably going to be the closest to being "like" your Sportster from the standpoint of the controls, instruments, and seating position.

Sounds like your riding style is very similar to mine. I mainly cruise the back roads, but I do get on the Instersate frequently to get up into the mountains where some of my favortie back roads are. That 60 mile jaunt on the Interstate is where I always found myself wanting a bigger, more comfortable bike. Now I have it. The Super Glide just eats up the miles on the Interstate, and is just as much fun on the back roads as my Sporty was.
Is that a Mustang Solo seat on your bike? I have one on the Sporty and it is far better that the stock seat. How was the SG's stock seat? If as rock-like as the stock Sporty seat I will need to factor in another Mustang.

Also, how is the rear suspension? On my 883L it would bottom out a lot; I had to adjust the preload up two notches to make it ridable.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:13 PM
El Jinete Fantasma
Road Captain

I went from a Nightster to an Fat Bob with mid-controls. I considered a Street Bob, but it didn't seem worth the bump in insurance and payment. My main concern was handling on the freeway. The think I loved about my bike was ultimately the thing that lead me to the decision to trade. The rawness of it was awesome on the street, but killed me on the highway. I was told told that the Super Glides didn't ride much different than a well set-up Sporty, so I went with the Dyna that I was sure would be a true "road warrior." It is, but it still wasn't easy to give up my Sporty.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Go with the street bob.......

Old 01-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by El Jinete Fantasma
I was told told that the Super Glides didn't ride much different than a well set-up Sporty...
I guess I would agree with that if "well set-up" means a Evo Sportster engine in a Dyna frame.

Seriously, I had my Sporty set up pretty darn good with the Progressive shocks, and there is no comparison. My Super Glide rides and handles FAR better than my Sportster.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Handycam
Is that a Mustang Solo seat on your bike? I have one on the Sporty and it is far better that the stock seat. How was the SG's stock seat? If as rock-like as the stock Sporty seat I will need to factor in another Mustang.

Also, how is the rear suspension? On my 883L it would bottom out a lot; I had to adjust the preload up two notches to make it ridable.
Yes, I had a Mustang on my Sportster and I knew I wanted one of my Super Glide. The stock seat on the FXDC is a two-up seat. I like the solo look better. If you get the std FXD or Street Bob, those come with solo seats. And they are typical OEM Harley seats, i.e., they're crap.

There literally is no comparison between the stock suspension on a Super Glide and what comes on a Sportster. The compression and rebound dampening is so much better on the Glide. It handles better than the Sporty and rides like a Cadillac. I guarantee you're going to be blown away if you go test ride one.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:28 PM
bakerm75
Road Captain

I don't know about dealers there, but here you can schedule test rides. If your serious about buying, they will let you ride a few to find the one you want. Check with your dealer.

To bad they don't make the fxdwg any more. Best touring dyna there is. great for 2 passengers, Fits me perfect at 5'11"

Quick Reply: Sporty rider trading up, seek advice