Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very bad gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Bigfoots03HD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Very bad gas mileage

I have an 03 WG with a stage 1 kit, KN filter Vance and Hines Big shot exhaust(with baffles removed) and had the carb rejeted after exhaust was put on. When i frist put exhaust on with the stage 1(was on bike when I bought it) the bike felt sluggish. I was told it needed to be rejeted. So I got it rejeted and the guy that did it told me to buy a KN filter for it so I did. My problem is a couple of my friends I ride with use half the gas I do they have nick named my bike the gas hog. I already own 1 gas hog(F150 4X4) I dont need another. Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas.Im just about ready to put the original jet back in and deal with it feeling a little sluggish.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:41 PM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is FI with stage 1,PC111, and V&H BR. 35 mpg is all I get. Some of the guys I ride with seam to ride forever on a tank, and I,m stopping at about 140 miles. But, gas mileage was not why I bought the bike. It might be green, but its not "green".

Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if some backpressure (baffles or washers or such) and rejetting the carb to suit woud help. I have an '05 with a K&N (A.N.B.S.), rejetted carb, and SEII slip ons, and I average 45 or so MPG even though it's running a little rich right now. Something's definitely off if it's as thirsty as you say.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Bigfoots03HD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dpriest
Mine is FI with stage 1,PC111, and V&H BR. 35 mpg is all I get. Some of the guys I ride with seam to ride forever on a tank, and I,m stopping at about 140 miles. But, gas mileage was not why I bought the bike. It might be green, but its not "green".
Thats not why I bought mine either but at the same time I would like to stop for gas when everyone else does not when Im on E and they have a half tank still and there bikes have the same amount of stuff done to them that I have.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=217441
if you are not getting about 40mpg you are probably too rich... I tossed my SE dynojet kit and went to the sporty needle and a 46 low. went from 32mpg back up to 42mpg.
While the article recommends 45 low and 190 main I have found that 46 low and 195 main work best for my particular bike. Along with the 98 sporty needle mentioned in the article. I am also running a open A/C and DTT ignition module. My RSD intake moves more air than the previous SE stage 1 I had before. Also running an open pipe(no baffle) will lean out the bike and trying to get it to run right often results in running the bike way too rich.
Do you know what was done to the carb jet wise?

Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm running a 195 main....46 slow.....V&H short shots with competition baffles...SE intake with K&N Filter...

I avg 40-45 mpg....depending on how I twist the wick at take-off.....or highway cruising speed.

Ed

Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Bigfoots03HD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rounder
http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=217441
if you are not getting about 40mpg you are probably too rich... I tossed my SE dynojet kit and went to the sporty needle and a 46 low. went from 32mpg back up to 42mpg.
While the article recommends 45 low and 190 main I have found that 46 low and 195 main work best for my particular bike. Along with the 98 sporty needle mentioned in the article. I am also running a open A/C and DTT ignition module. My RSD intake moves more air than the previous SE stage 1 I had before. Also running an open pipe(no baffle) will lean out the bike and trying to get it to run right often results in running the bike way too rich.
Do you know what was done to the carb jet wise?
Rounder Im not sure on what jet the guy put in. I stuck my finger in the end of the exhaust and it came out black so its definitly running rich. Are you running baffles in your exhaust? Im thinking about having it rejeted by another guy that comes highly recommended by several people I work with. I like the way the bike sounds with no baffles but should I think about putting the baffles back in or is there some thing else I can do. I have heard of people cutting the baffles in half and putting them back in any one else hear of that or done it?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:57 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bigfoots03HD
Rounder Im not sure on what jet the guy put in. I stuck my finger in the end of the exhaust and it came out black so its definitly running rich. Are you running baffles in your exhaust? Im thinking about having it rejeted by another guy that comes highly recommended by several people I work with. I like the way the bike sounds with no baffles but should I think about putting the baffles back in or is there some thing else I can do. I have heard of people cutting the baffles in half and putting them back in any one else hear of that or done it?
I have BCT baffles in my pipes... I highly recommend over a stock V&H cheesegrader.
The exhaust should have a little dry black in there but the bike should never puff out any black smoke. I agree that an open pipe does sound great, but, that's where it stops. Your killing your torque with an open pipe. I would either put the baffles back in, get some Quiet baffles from V&H,(not really quiet more deep sounding) or order some BCT baffles and put those in... If your not familiar BCT= big city thunder..
I also would recommend Cycle Rama If you want the best wrenches around...They are considered one of the top performance shops in the country. Located in pinellas park off park blvd.(yeah, I know... bit of a trek). I think they will modify your stock baffles if you want(one of the wrenches told me that what he does to big radius anyways).

Old 01-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly what does bad gas mileage mean?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 07 StreetBob
Exactly what does bad gas mileage mean?
the bike is running too rich/ burining through too much fuel. Also could be the bike has an intake leak and was tuned overly rich to compensate.