Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rigid solo rack with removable passenger pillon

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two turn signal relocation kits that go with the detachable mounting kit…..one if you need to move the signals for use with saddle bags and the one I have is if you don’t need saddle bags. It just moves the signals out a little to make room for the mounts. This is for my ’09 Street Bob – I’m not sure about other applications.

I did mine last weekend. Turned out to not be as much of a headache as I thought it was going to be to cut and splice the turn signal wires. I didn’t even have to put it up on a lift and loosen the shocks to drop the wheel. It’s tight under there, but you can get a crimper in there if you are careful where you cut the wires.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:05 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sintax
I don't mind the lack of passenger support - just need it for a roll bag on occasion......................
Get a t-bag switchback, kury Grand roll bag, or a Saraceni bag that straps to the bars. All easily strap to the bars above the headlight on the SB, problem solved. Takes me 2 min to put on or take off my T-bag. I only got the rack and pillion set up so I had the option for a passenger when ever I wanted and maintain the solo look that I like.
CB

Old 02-06-2009, 07:21 AM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
The Motherwell and other fender racks have their place, but NOT for passengers! HD has the same look rack as the Rigid, but in chrome and is detachable..

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Again, NOT for passenger use!
Wouldn't be strapping any passengers to the rack, LOL. I meant that was it common that the Motherwell rack be loose and unstable? I just don't want something that is going to shake or rattle around. Is that an issue with this rack?

Old 02-06-2009, 09:08 AM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't find the motherwell rack was ever loose and I did use it for packages or for a roll pack. Never really pushed it with anything over 10 lbs.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:46 AM
sintax
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyxlc
I didn't find the motherwell rack was ever loose and I did use it for packages or for a roll pack. Never really pushed it with anything over 10 lbs.
Yeah, I hit over 10 lbs on several occasions. Also things that may be heavier on one end of my Bikers Friend roll bag. When I took out the screw mount from my fender the other day, I have a nice little dent where the mounting hole was. Luckily that plastic plug covered over it.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:44 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
Wouldn't be strapping any passengers to the rack, LOL. I meant that was it common that the Motherwell rack be loose and unstable? I just don't want something that is going to shake or rattle around. Is that an issue with this rack?
My motherwell doesn't have a wobble problem. You definately need to add some weight for it to wobble. Look at my album and I have a kury custom roll bag and I don't see my self putting over 10lbs on it. I am considering the rigid rack though only to have the pilon for the wife. I do not have any scratches or dents from it. For the scratches as long as you clean your bike it will be fine. Everytime I clean my bike I always take the rack and seat off clean and wax. Make sure there is no dirt on the foam pads. I like the motherwell!!

Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 PM
dallasblakglossn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the rigid rack made by harley state what the weight limit is on it? i would assume it can hold a fair amount of weight given the facr that they make the passenger seat to go on it.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:29 AM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

250 sticks in my head....I don't see it listed online, perhaps I saw it in the catalog...

Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Look at post #15.. Something isn't right, but hey, it's HD!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:09 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Just installed mine. The rack is very rigid and sturdy. Get help installing, be careful and take the time or you WILL scratch the paint...(ask me how I know!) I didn't have to drop the lower shock to drop the swing arm, there is plenty of room and the fender will lay on top of the tire. The secret is, to replace the TS bolt with a shorter one if possible. My TS are relocated so I didn't need or use the long bolt for the TS. If you still have the TS in the original place, you may very well need to drop the swing arm! Now, what's funny, there is a sticker on the back of the rack that states, maximum load 25 lbs. Hopefully your passengers are Anorexic!
I called H-D and they said that the weight limit is for luggage and not the weight capacity but the handling of a stationary weight strapped to the bike as opposed to a passenger who moves along with the rider and does not oppose the input of the driver. The seat also spreads the weight more evenly. Make sense? I have had multiple riders on it with no problems. A two up seat with a passenger rests on the fender, how much more stable is that.

Quick Reply: rigid solo rack with removable passenger pillon