Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rigid solo rack with removable passenger pillon

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:48 PM
drtheo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks very functionable, and alot cheaper than buying two seats.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:00 PM
sintax
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How is the installation on this rack? I looked online to find an install guide but came up empty. It looks like it slips down between the struts and the fender so I imagine you can take it on and off fairly easily (probably not too quickly though).

I have been using a detachable Motherwell rack for a couple years now but it is so wobbly and loose now that I have given up on it. For some reason it just doesn't stay tight on the fender once I get some weight on it.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sintax
How is the installation on this rack? I looked online to find an install guide but came up empty. It looks like it slips down between the struts and the fender so I imagine you can take it on and off fairly easily (probably not too quickly though).

I have been using a detachable Motherwell rack for a couple years now but it is so wobbly and loose now that I have given up on it. For some reason it just doesn't stay tight on the fender once I get some weight on it.
No, it does not come off easily. It is meant to stay on, the main reason is it needs to be very rigid so it will be stable enough to allow a passenger to sit on it with the clip on pillion seat. That is kind of the point of the system, you don't have to remove the rack to go two up.
CB

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 02-04-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:12 PM
damnhippie
Advanced

install isn't so easy. requires you to lift the rear, disconnect shocks & lower entire fender.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:26 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Just installed mine. The rack is very rigid and sturdy. Get help installing, be careful and take the time or you WILL scratch the paint...(ask me how I know!) I didn't have to drop the lower shock to drop the swing arm, there is plenty of room and the fender will lay on top of the tire. The secret is, to replace the TS bolt with a shorter one if possible. My TS are relocated so I didn't need or use the long bolt for the TS. If you still have the TS in the original place, you may very well need to drop the swing arm! Now, what's funny, there is a sticker on the back of the rack that states, maximum load 25 lbs. Hopefully your passengers are Anorexic!

Last edited by BlockHead96; 02-04-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:31 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sintax

Is this common? I was thinking about the motherwell, but if it is not sturdy, then maybe not. I need to get a fender mounted rack since I have the rigid sissy bar mounts that will take up the mounting area for any strut cover mounted units..

Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by damnhippie
I just ordered mine. not cheap but seems worth it to have a seat that detaches easily plus i need the luggage rack. The passenger pillion is pretty wide (11"), i imagine it would be comfortable for a longer ride.

it certainly wasn't cheap, but i got a bit of a discount going through a guy on eBay.

Who's the guy on e-bay? I need the pillion and back rest.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:36 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
Is this common? I was thinking about the motherwell, but if it is not sturdy, then maybe not. I need to get a fender mounted rack since I have the rigid sissy bar mounts that will take up the mounting area for any strut cover mounted units..

The Motherwell and other fender racks have their place, but NOT for passengers! HD has the same look rack as the Rigid, but in chrome and is detachable..

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Again, NOT for passenger use!

Last edited by BlockHead96; 02-04-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:30 PM
damnhippie
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Who's the guy on e-bay? I need the pillion and back rest.
I got everything from teamh-d on ebay. They only had the rigid solo rack listed but i asked about everything and got it all at once. I did get much more of a discount off the rack than anything else.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:09 AM
sintax
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
HD has the same look rack as the Rigid, but in chrome and is detachable..

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Again, NOT for passenger use!
I don't mind the lack of passenger support - just need it for a roll bag on occasion. The thing with that detachable HD rack though is that it looks like it needs signal relocation. Is that the case or just the setup they went with in that photo?

Quick Reply: rigid solo rack with removable passenger pillon