Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension/Brakes upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension/Brakes upgrade!

I've got a case of cabin fever since it's freezing and snowy here, but that means it's a perfect time to work on the bike. I sold my sportbike last week so I have some extra money to put into the Harley. I've been sorely disappointed in the suspension and brakes so far, probably because of what I'm coming off of (Yamaha FZ1). Plus I've got a trip to the Dragon coming in May, so I must get the ground clearance raised a bit. I don't care for the slammed look, and I already scrape pegs ofter as it is.

So here's what I've got coming:

FXDX-T rear shocks, got them on Ebay for $160. I've ridden a T-Sport and although I didn't really flog it, I did like the higher seat and ground clearance. For that price, I don't think I'll get more shock for the money anywhere else. Why did HD quit using the good suspension components they used to use anyway?!

Progressive fork springs and 10w fork oil. I've found I can bottom out the stock forks without really trying (I weigh 215). Hopefully this will stop.

Superbrace. Had one on my V-Strom, amazing upgrade for the price.

Two sets of HBC HH Sintered brake pads. Supposed to be a good upgrade, I'll combine those with stainless lines at some point.

I got the Dyna factory service manual for Christmas, and I ordered the fork cap socket from Ebay this morning. I've already got a jack and an assortment of tools. I think I've got everything I need.

Any tips? Thoughts on this upgrade? Comments? I'm looking forward to the UPS guy showing up next week

Last edited by MZBuckeye; 01-03-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:17 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Sounds trick MZ. Should give ya some good handling.

I know I'm disappointed in the brake performance of my FXDC... specifically the rear brake. Some items in my future: 4 piston rear caliper, better pads front and back, superbrace, true-trak and braided lines. May take me awhile to put that all together, but I know the end result will be sweet.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye

FXDX-T rear shocks, got them on Ebay for $160. I've ridden a T-Sport and although I didn't really flog it, I did like the higher seat and ground clearance. For that price, I don't think I'll get more shock for the money anywhere else. Why did HD quit using the good suspension components they used to use anyway?!
The reason Harley stopped using good suspension is that they realized they could move the blacked out look from the FXDX to the FXDB, install $10 shocks and charge the same price. The FXDX was a notorious poor seller and the suspension was costly for HD.

The FXDX shocks are almost an inch longer than stock. Make sure you are not messing up your trail. You might have to increase the length of the front suspension. The bike is going to steer a lot quicker.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:35 PM
CAPDUNN
Intermediate

The rear is going to look like a dirtbike as the rear fender will be raised 1.75 inches. You will need to raise the front and get a longer kickstand.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:51 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buckeye,
You're headed in the right direction. The only change I would make is to stay away from the progressive kit for the front end. Go with Works or Race tech in the front end. As for needing a longer kickstand and such...not true. Here's a pic of a streetbob a friend did with FXDX shocks in the rear. Ofcourse there's a 21 on the front which levels it a bit, but you should be alright.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:23 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Stock shocks are 12.5 these are 13.5, how will it end up 1.75" taller? I don't think it will be a problem. The FXDCI sits pretty low in the back stock, so I don't see 1 inch being an issue with stability.

Here's a picture of a board member's bike with 13.5" Ohlins on the rear, to some it may look dirt-bikeish, to me it looks like a dyna that's ready for the twisties, which is what I want mine to be. Function over form, I happen to think it looks good sitting higher, more sport/tour/cruise, if that makes sense

As far as the front end, the Progressive springs were only $67, so I figured they're worth a try. I'll take a look at that other stuff though while I'm waiting for it to ship, I'm sure I can resell the Progressives if there's a better route.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:50 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 473 Likes on 277 Posts

Checked that pic against the two dirt bikes in my shop..nope; don't get it...cannot see any resemblence. On the other hand; a lot of lowered bikes look like an invisible 500lb rider is sitting on them.....

Done pretty well all I think I could to my FXDXT; rear brake still sucks.....but it sure handles good, stops well and is relatively quick for a Harley.

I've used the race tech emulators and springs in my last bike, a 100hp Sporty...really did good in what's essentially the same front end (39mm tubes). Off course the FXDXT is fully adjustable, so it's "stock" on my bike.

Good rubber will make a big difference, too...but be prepared for less mileage; coming from a sport bike, you're used to that already.

Less unsprung weight, better brakes (and maybe engine mount) adjustable suspension and stickier tires should make you happy...

'01 FXDXT
103 by HQ
bunch of aluminum and composite
620lbs wet weight

On the road 2-up:

Attached Thumbnails Suspension/Brakes upgrade!-nice-vest.jpg  
Old 01-03-2009, 04:51 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure what exhaust system you have?
the new shocks will push the swingarm towards the exhaust.
the clearance between the right shock lower mount and the exhaust might be close?

Old 01-03-2009, 05:59 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Exhaust is stock. No plans to change it as of now. I'm not into real loud bikes, maybe sometime in the future though. I'll test fit before I bolt everything down, thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to start with the right one

Old 01-03-2009, 06:00 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sharkey
Checked that pic against the two dirt bikes in my shop..nope; don't get it...cannot see any resemblence. On the other hand; a lot of lowered bikes look like an invisible 500lb rider is sitting on them.....

Done pretty well all I think I could to my FXDXT; rear brake still sucks.....but it sure handles good, stops well and is relatively quick for a Harley.

I've used the race tech emulators and springs in my last bike, a 100hp Sporty...really did good in what's essentially the same front end (39mm tubes). Off course the FXDXT is fully adjustable, so it's "stock" on my bike.

Good rubber will make a big difference, too...but be prepared for less mileage; coming from a sport bike, you're used to that already.

Less unsprung weight, better brakes (and maybe engine mount) adjustable suspension and stickier tires should make you happy...

'01 FXDXT
103 by HQ
bunch of aluminum and composite
620lbs wet weight

On the road 2-up:

Sweet pic, sweet bike!

Hey, how hard is the install of those race tech emulators? I was pricing those out, the emulators and for springs, not TOO bad. I'd like to avoid complete front end disassembly though. I don't quite know what those emulators do, where they sit, what they look like, etc.

Quick Reply: Suspension/Brakes upgrade!